Any way to get rid of drown history menu in the address bar in Safari

Reaction score
Is there any way to get rid of the history menu that displays below the address bar in Safari? There has to be a way to to this.

What I'm talking about, just to be clear, are the various sections -- like Top hit, Google search, History, etc. That always appears as soon as you type an address into the search bar.

Seems be there has to be a way to do this; but I can't find it. To be honest this feature drives me nuts.

I'm in Yosemite if that makes any difference, but it's been there in Mavericks too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - I use Google search in Safari (Yosemite) - I'm assuming that you mean the window that opens below the search bar once text is entered (like in my first screen capture below) - correct? If so, I went into Safari Preferences -> Search where all boxes were checked (second screen capture) - removed the checks, quit Safari and re-opened the browser - the search suggestions still appeared! Thought that would work but I guess not - did not try logging out and back into my account or re-booting - not sure that would help.

Now, you could select another search engine (I've only used Google) but I'm sure the same suggestion window will appear - hopefully others may 'chime in' - BTW, that window has never bothered me but I must say that I rarely use its contents - guess I'm just indifferent to its presence. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.19.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.25.47 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.