Any RAM experts on the forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello,

My daughters old MBP has a defective RAM slot (the lower one). I have tested the machine with known good RAM sticks and have confirmed that the lower slot does not work - and will prevent the machine from switching on, of it has a RAM stick inserted.

It's currently running 4GB RAM and I want to up it to 8GB RAM.
To do this, I would need to put a single 8GB stick in the top slot.

MY problem: I always use Crucial - and their only solution for this machine is an 8GB kit (ie 2 x 4GB sticks). They don't offer a single 8GB stick as an option for this machine.

There are so many choices online, that I can't work out which exact RAM to buy (I normally just use the Crucial scanner and let it decide!)
Could anyone advise me which 8GB (single) RAM would work in this machine? It's a mid 2009 MBP.
More details available, if needed.

Thanks in advance. CB6

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The easy answer is…2009 MacBook Pro's don't support 8gig sticks of ram.

- Nick

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah. There we go then. That would explain why I couldn't find any!

Thanks, Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Max ram on this model is 8gig of ram (2 x 4gig). Which means with 2 ram slots…the max. ram in each slot is 4gig. If this computer supported 8gig sticks of ram (per slot)…then the max. ram on this computer would be 16gig (which it isn't).

Some 2010 MacBook Pro's…and all 2011 MacBook Pro's did support 16gig of ram. So if you had one of these models…then yes…a single 8gig stick of could be installed in a single ram slot…and the computer have 8gig of ram. But not with 2009 MacBook Pro's.

Regarding the bad ram slot. Have you visually inspected it carefully to see if any dirt/debris is stuck in it…or if there are any bent pins or other damage?

- Nick

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Nick.

No. Not inspected it yet. I'll see her later on this week and may pull the back off for a quick check. It's had an empty slot since we got it (a few years ago, now) and we only realised this problem when we tried to use the lower slot to double the RAM - so it may be a long-standing issue.
It would be nice if it was a quick fix - but I should also get ready for the bigger outlay of a replacement machine. Eventually. Uuungh!

Thanks again, CB6

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be nice if it was a quick fix

Yes it would be nice if it was a quick fix…especially if the computer is meeting all needs satisfactorily (except more ram being nice).

- but I should also get ready for the bigger outlay of a replacement machine. Eventually. Uuungh!

It is a 2009 MacBook Pro (6 years oldish)…so (usually) all good things must come to an end (with computers).;) Not sure if this computer was purchased new or used. But if 4gig of ram isn't cutting it anymore…a newer (but still used) MacBook Pro could be purchased to take the "sting" out of purchasing something else.

I have two 2011 MacBook Pro's (13" and 17")…and they seem to be doing fine.:) I would imagine one of these could be purchased fairly reasonably.:) Or you could go with something newer/used.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15, 2.26GHz I7, 6gb , 500gb
I picked up my late 2011 15" model for about $500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.