Any proffesional Graphic Designers here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
Hello,

About to obtain my degree in graphic design, just sort of curious if you guys

know of the changing trends of print design, if they are moving more towards

animated interaction on the web? Leaving the art of print to dissapear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-933, PB-1.25, TiBook-1Ghz
Leaving the art of print to dissapear.

You may want to hit a couple of trade shows and then ask that again. ;D

Print will never disappear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
You may want to hit a couple of trade shows and then ask that again. ;D

Print will never disappear.

exactly. Most stores will always use print catalogues. Do you think they'll hand you a CD with a pdf on it, or ask you to download it? There will always be print design for advertising, magazines, packaging and dozens of other items.

I've just started full time work as a designer, and I'm flat out most days doing monthly flyers and all sorts of print work. Print won't just disappear because of improvements in web design and increased access to the internet. Companies will always need print design, and personally, I think it allows for a greater experience of design. There are things you can do with print that you'll simply never see on monitors. Gloss and matte finishes, metallics, embossing and embellishments, die cuts - the list goes on. It's how you get to express details a monitor can't replicate - that's the beauty of a tangible art. It's like asking if you'd rather have an original painting, or a jpeg of it.

OP
Interstellar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's what I wanted to hear, I favor print design heavily

and will always prefer to design that way. It was just a rumour I had heard

when I brought newspaper design to a proffessor at my school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
no doubt a lot more design is being featured online these days, but it'll be a great many years before print rolls over and dies. Even if there eventually is some kind of alternative, there will always be those who prefer it - much like the thousands of photographers who stay true to film photography even while digital photography is booming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Print has always been around and always will be. It's the repro side of design for print that has changed quite dramatically, making things a lot easier nowadays.
My work is 90% print, 10% web. There's still a divide in web though - web designer and web programming are two different disciplines, with some overlap.
You say you're doing a degree though - I'm noticing a lot of spelling mistakes in your text! I hope they haven't made their way into your portfolio!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
You will never run out of work if you are willing to do real boring work such as desiging school books for any type of subject with lots of diagrams. By the way, these projects usually run about 300+ pages each book. So, it will really keep you busy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
You will never run out of work if you are willing to do real boring work such as desiging school books for any type of subject with lots of diagrams. By the way, these projects usually run about 300+ pages each book. So, it will really keep you busy.

heh, I did some of that for a maths text book while in year 10 at high school :p I think catalogues/flyers are more common though, at least in my experience and from what I've heard. I'm responsible for the monthly flyer for where I work, and I've heard it described as the designer's bread and butter work. Still, I'd rather do flyers than text books any day ;) They're just a LITTLE bit more interesting, and would require much less proofreading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
quark is your friend buddy

OP
Interstellar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer InDesign as well, magazines and newspapers are what I enjoy the

most. The trend is really starting to lean towards 'web-site' looking templates

for newspapers around the country.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main confusion comes from pagination for long projects like a book or a thick magazine, right hand page vs. left hand page and corresponding page numbers. Sometimes, for safety against a file crash, you may have to break the file for a book/magazine into chapters/sections. The easy part would be the first chapter/section which is the beginning. The following chapters/sections are a big pain. Sometimes, one chapter runs over one page and ruins the right hand page vs. left hand page order, and you either have to add another page or condense the information so that you will lose that extra page.

http://www.grasshopperllc.com/showdocs.php?id=708

Reaction score
The main confusion comes from pagination for long projects like a book or a thick magazine, right hand page vs. left hand page and corresponding page numbers. Sometimes, for safety against a file crash, you may have to break the file for a book/magazine into chapters/sections. The easy part would be the first chapter/section which is the beginning. The following chapters/sections are a big pain. Sometimes, one chapter runs over one page and ruins the right hand page vs. left hand page order, and you either have to add another page or condense the information so that you will lose that extra page.

http://www.grasshopperllc.com/showdocs.php?id=708

I was most confused with the page numbers and how to set up the magazine. I had to reprint the proofs 3 times before I got things to match up. It was for a class project though, not the real world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was most confused with the page numbers and how to set up the magazine. I had to reprint the proofs 3 times before I got things to match up. It was for a class project though, not the real world.

After doing the same type of projects for a while one gets used to WYSIWYG.
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.