Any operating system?

Reaction score
Is it possible to run and older version of Mac OS X (such as OS X 10.4) so that older versions of Apple software could be used like Final Cut Express, etc? I have some programs from an iMac G5 that I'd love to use if possible (that computer is very tired and slow). I'm thinking that various VM software implies that that this can be done.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't say what Mac you have? Traditionally, you cannot run an older version of OS X than what came with your machine.

So, if your machine came with Snow Leopard 10.6, for example, that's the oldest version of OS X it will run.

Short of finding an old machine to run these older versions of OS X, you don't really have many choices. You could, of course, always look for updated versions of the software you want to run and get them to work on the modern machines..

OP
R
Reaction score
I Have a late 2012 Mac mini with Mavericks already installed. I have some older software that won't run on it, So I wondered if VMware Fusion or Parallels would work with and older OSX similarly as windows would.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you need to run an older version of the Mac OS in order to run older applications…your best bet is to purchase an older Mac that is of similar vintage to the OS version and apps you would like to run.

It is possible to run Mac OS X within Parallels (see this video):

Install Two Versions of OS X on One Mac Using Parallels - Tuts+ Computer Skills Tutorial

But the big question is if OS X 10.4 is desired...what version of Parallels to use?? Maybe newer versions of Parallels can't run 10.4 (maybe it can). If not...then an older version of Parallels would be needed. This is a VERY rare sort of thing to want to do. And specific answers as to what will & what won't work are not common.

My suggestion would be to purchase an older Mac to run the older OS X version & older apps. Could very well be a less expensive approach as well. I know that older Powermac G5's can be purchased for $75 or even less.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
or you could honestly try another thing as well if your machine supports snow leopard you could just dual partition the machine and run both maverick and snow leopard and keep your power pc software

OP
R
Reaction score
Running an older version of OS X on VM

Is it possible to run an older version go OS X (such as 10.4) with parallels or VMware Fusion? I have final cut express 3.5 which has some great extras with it. My old iMac runs for a while before getting overheated. I am currently running a late 2012 Mac mini which has Mavericks 10.9.5 loaded at the factory.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged. Not necessary to crosspost or double post for the same topic. Let's please keep everything in one thread.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Parallels 10 will run anything as far back as Leopard and even then, it requires the server version (for licencing reasons). Unless you've got a server version of OS X 10.5 or higher, you're better off finding an old Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and sorry about double posting. I was trying to be clear about what I was asking and left out part of the "equation". Thanks for your patience.

I do have a G5 that was the last model before the isight camera was added. It runs on Tiger which has been been updated several times. It does overheat if I use it for 3 or 4 hours, but have used it on occasion to use Adobe cs2 Photoshop. I may have to bring it in from the garage and keep it under my computer desk for those times when I need it.

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I may be mistaken, but I was led to believe if one was going to keep any old PPC Mac for occasional use, that they should be kept plugged into AC power, but not powered up, to keep it's PRAM battery and other needed bits charged up and so it's really to go when needed.

Works for my old G3 DT that was needed again just this last week, this time to rescue some old DOS type data from some 1GB Jazz drive disks!! Now rescued and on a flash drive and all stuff readable in OS X 10.9.5!!! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.