Any good USB to COM port Adaptors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.1Ghz C2D, 1GB RAM, 500Gb HDD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
Hi at the moment i'm just running leopard, i am planning to run xp aswell i did before with my previous hdd, but installed a bigger one so i can actually use the other os, anyways, i'm planning to get all those car computer analizing software and that for windows, but the interface to the car pc most of the time uses home made cords that plug into com ports,

now i know that sometimes com ports are iffy, and i know that usb adapters will be iffy,

now, does anyone know if there's a working usb to com port adapter, that will run on windows, through bootcamp, on my macbook?

i don't have the money for trial and error here, so i thought i'd ask if someone had already done this? not particularly with the car software, but just with the adpaters on xp

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I assume you're talking about USB to serial port adapters.

Can't tell you that these will work definitively.

Can tell you that we use both Keyspan and Trendnet adapters in our office with table sized digitizers. All machines running XP.

The Keyspan devices we use are probably 4+ years old now and we also had to purchase 3rd party drivers to get them to work at that time - another $70.

The Trendnet TU-S9, we just bought about 2 weeks ago from newegg. Must not have been too hard to set up, because I didn't get called in to assist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.