Antivirus software

Reaction score
Hi
Anybody knows of a free of antivirus software that is free and reliable.
Please let me know .

Thank you, oh... Happy New Year! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
We had a long recent thread on this topic here on Mac-Forums; and a really long older one. You should do a search and find and read them. I believe that one of those threads has been pinned here to make it easier to find.

To summarize:

- There are extremely few threats in the wild for the Mac. That, combined with the fact that just about all of the fully interactive anti-malware utilities for the Mac have been implicated with nasty slowdowns and vexing rotating beachballs, most Mac users do completely without. Despite this, even on a list like this with many thousands of users, you just about never hear of a believable report of someone losing data to malware.

- The Macintosh operating system COMES WITH several layers of anti-malware protection built-in.

- While the often-recommended MalwareBytes and DetectX are excellent at finding and taking care of adware (which generally isn't malicious, just annoying), there is concern that (despite what it says on their Web sites) that they aren't truly comprehensive anti-malware utilities. However, since the true anti-malware utilities often don't look for adware, it's good to have both DetectX (which is free) as well as a really good anti-malware utility.

- There aren't any current comparison tests of anti-malware utilities that are offered by unbiased believable sources. However, going on the last believeable tests, Intego's VirusBarrier is the best such utility. It comes from a company that only makes Macintosh software. There is a free version!:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Intego's VirusBarrier is the best such utility. It comes from a company that only makes Macintosh software. There is a free version!:

It's true that they do seem to provide a "Free version", I would add unless I am doing something wrong, that the Free trials only seem to last 30 days before they expire.

But at least their installer does contain a handy uninstaller, if and when one wants to get rid of the free expired trial.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's true that they do seem to provide a "Free version", I would add unless I am doing something wrong, that the Free trials only seem to last 30 days before they expire.
Nope, this one is free. No limit. Free. As in, Free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

The version that I listed and also Randy is the free version. Hopefully, the OP skips the VirusBarrier and just goes with DetectX which I also recommended to him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, this one is free. No limit. Free. As in, Free.

Thanks Jake.
And it also seems to be a completely different version series from what I had Installed and it also needs macOS 10.10.x or above.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
@Patrick:

...Hopefully, the OP skips the VirusBarrier and just goes with DetectX which I also recommended to him.

As I explained, the two are complementary. It's good to have both.

It's not simply that DetectX Swift can't be doing a complete scan for all malware, everywhere it might hide, in the 20 second or so scan that it does...I've been recommending that folks use both products together for a good while now, and one product will consistently find some things that the other doesn't. I've had a good amount of feedback from users on this at this point and I'm very comfortable suggesting that folks use both.

They are both free products, there is no downside on having and using both.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just for interests sake I downloaded the current version of Malwarebytes and I have to say I've seldom seen an app that tries that hard to talk a user into purchasing a paid (Premium) subscription form of the app. First they give you the premium version as a trial (unless you refuse it). Then they show you what you will be missing when you use the free version. Then the scanner UI offers another large button to upgrade to Premium or Trial Premium and it features a block declaring that App Block and Malware Protection are off but could be on if you upgrade to Premium. Wow!
Of course you can ignore all this as I did and just run a scan and unlike DetectX and Intego's VirusBarrier it actually found something, PUP.Systweak which is Malwarebytes’ generic detection name for a family of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) published by Systweak Software.
So I have quaretined them for now and I will see what the result (if any) is.

Reaction score
...it actually found something, PUP.Systweak ...

I had never heard of this "potentially unwanted program." So I did some research. Systweak is a legitimate company that makes both Mac and PC utilities:

Some people regard Systweak's software as "unwanted" because they didn't purposely download it. Instead, it often comes as part of a legitimate software bundle deal. But I can't find anything anywhere that says that Systweak's software is at all malicious or that it is adware. The thing is that company's that distribute software bundles sometimes include demo software; it's how they make their money. So it is questionable whether Systweak's software is indeed a legitimate PUP.

But if you want to check out something that really seems questionable, do this. Download EasyFind, which is free:

Set EasyFind to look for "malwarebytes", and set it to ignore case, to only look at file and folder names, and to also look for invisible files. Then sit back and let EasyFind search your entire hard drive. See how many files it finds that Malwarebytes installed.

The last time I checked, Malwarebytes installed **24 files** on my Mac. What in the world do you think that all of those files are doing? I don't know myself....which is why I deleted them all and I now use and recommend DetectX Swift instead.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Randy I know kinda suspected as much. It really has turned into a sort of adware program itself.
I do have EasyFind so I'll do a check as you suggested and give you a count.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restored quarantined items and found Malwarebytes had installed 32 files/folders. All but 2 removed by their uninstaller being frontend saved state files all gone now. Interesting exercise but I'm more than happy with DetectX Swift and Intego's VirusBarrier. I didnt think Malwarebytes could get much objectionable but it did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had never heard of this "potentially unwanted program." So I did some research. Systweak is a legitimate company that makes both Mac and PC utilities:

Some people regard Systweak's software as "unwanted" because they didn't purposely download it. Instead, it often comes as part of a legitimate software bundle deal. But I can't find anything anywhere that says that Systweak's software is at all malicious or that it is adware. The thing is that company's that distribute software bundles sometimes include demo software; it's how they make their money. So it is questionable whether Systweak's software is indeed a legitimate PUP.

To be fair here to MalwareBytes, DetectX also flags Systweak's software as PUPs. I had installed their app Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro to clean up duplicated photos in iCloud Photos. It came from the Mac App Store and I never had, nor developed, any reason to believe the software was malicious in any way. There's simply a database "somewhere" of these PUPs that these guys are getting their info from. I think it was the Windows counterparts to their software that is a bit sketchy, from what I read up on when the app I had got flagged. Actually, here's a site that explains why they are flagged as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is that company's that distribute software bundles sometimes include demo software; it's how they make their money. So it is questionable whether Systweak's software is indeed a legitimate PUP.

In case anyone else wasn't sure of the translation for "PUP" as in this case:
  • A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The places where most PUPs are picked up are on game sites. Even though the game site itself is legal and posts demos and add ons, it seems that downloading any of those sometimes include PUPs.

The other day, I went to a game site to find a newer DOOM wad to add to my collection. The site download wanted to first install "Flash" stating that I had to have it since it was not already installed. I immediately killed the download sequence and ran a check of my system to make sure no Flash bits got thru.

A non savvy person would have allowed the download to continue and Flash would have been installed. And who knows what kind of Flash it is? Not from Adobe that's for sure since they quit supporting it and have removed it from their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
But if you want to check out something that really seems questionable, do this. Download EasyFind, which is free:

Set EasyFind to look for "malwarebytes", and set it to ignore case, to only look at file and folder names, and to also look for invisible files. Then sit back and let EasyFind search your entire hard drive. See how many files it finds that Malwarebytes installed.

The last time I checked, Malwarebytes installed **24 files** on my Mac. What in the world do you think that all of those files are doing? I don't know myself....which is why I deleted them all and I now use and recommend DetectX Swift instead.

I get 24 hits when I do a similar search for "VirusBarrier" also. I don't think the file/folder count is necessarily a sign of something nefarious. Granted, DetectX only gives me 8 hits, but it's also a less comprehensive solution, though IMO perfectly adequate especially when using its Folder Observer feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
In case anyone else wasn't sure of the translation for "PUP" as in this case:

- Patrick
=======
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I've posted this blogs six years ego, just as relevent now as it had been then...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
We had a long recent thread on this topic here on Mac-Forums; and a really long older one. You should do a search and find and read them. I believe that one of those threads has been pinned here to make it easier to find.

To summarize:

- There are extremely few threats in the wild for the Mac. That, combined with the fact that just about all of the fully interactive anti-malware utilities for the Mac have been implicated with nasty slowdowns and vexing rotating beachballs, most Mac users do completely without. Despite this, even on a list like this with many thousands of users, you just about never hear of a believable report of someone losing data to malware.

- The Macintosh operating system COMES WITH several layers of anti-malware protection built-in.

- While the often-recommended MalwareBytes and DetectX are excellent at finding and taking care of adware (which generally isn't malicious, just annoying), there is concern that (despite what it says on their Web sites) that they aren't truly comprehensive anti-malware utilities. However, since the true anti-malware utilities often don't look for adware, it's good to have both DetectX (which is free) as well as a really good anti-malware utility.

- There aren't any current comparison tests of anti-malware utilities that are offered by unbiased believable sources. However, going on the last believeable tests, Intego's VirusBarrier is the best such utility. It comes from a company that only makes Macintosh software. There is a free version!:

I find Malwarebytes very useful, especially as my UK bank provides it free of charge for all account holders. Pity I can't say the same about Malwarebytes Privacy which when you buy one copy, you are supposed to be able to install it on another Mac. Never able to do this and it took months to get a refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.