• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anti Mac Discussion

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I am active on another board (Fish Crazy) and someone on there brought up the topic of PC v Mac. I have been respoinding so far and it seems that everyone on there is majorly anti Mac.

If you are interested in having a look the thread is here
http://www.fishcrazy.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=17627.0

I post under the same username on there as I do here.

Reaction score
I am active on another board (Fish Crazy) and someone on there brought up the topic of PC v Mac. I have been respoinding so far and it seems that everyone on there is majorly anti Mac.

If you are interested in having a look the thread is here
http://www.fishcrazy.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=17627.0

I post under the same username on there as I do here.
Reading though that it just confirms that most PC users are ignorant about the mac and it's capabilities. One guy said that when software is upgraded you have to get a new mac...ummmm...idiot. Another said "PC for me. I've never used a mac"...oh...D'oh.

banghead.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Reading though that it just confirms that most PC users are ignorant about the mac and it's capabilities. One guy said that when software is upgraded you have to get a new mac...ummmm...idiot. Another said "PC for me. I've never used a mac"...oh...D'oh.

banghead.gif

Yeah, I just get too angry at all the ignorance, I can't read stuff like that. Makes me glad that this forum isn't filled with such ignorant people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
hehe, i dont have anything against pc users. Just when there ignorant about mac users saying how rubish macs are etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
hehe, i dont have anything against pc users. Just when there ignorant about mac users saying how rubish macs are etc.

...without having any knowledge on the subject.

It's like going to a best buy or something and talking to a guy in the computer deptartment who says "I don't know anything about macs, but there are no software for them"

No, that's not true, just say "I am sorry, I don't know. Let me get someone who does. Since I am one who sells this product, I will need to educate myself on it."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's like going to a best buy or something and talking to a guy in the computer deptartment who says "I don't know anything about macs, but there are no software for them"

No, that's not true, just say "I am sorry, I don't know. Let me get someone who does. Since I am one who sells this product, I will need to educate myself on it."

Yeah, it annoys me when people say that
Its like DONT GIVE ME THIS RUBBISH if macs had no software for them they would be out of business.

The only reason why people believed pc's where better is because of the faster clocking speeds on the processors whereas the PPC makes had more powerful processor power from a slower speed therefore making it the better chip.
Also i dont see macs with HALF PROCESSOR chips such as the celeron or sempron chips

Reaction score

But I bet that same guy knows how to operate the cash register. Product knowledge in most computer stores is awful. It's fine if you have some sort of basic question about the price for example but if you want to know how to setup a wireless network...forget it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I bet that same guy knows how to operate the cash register. Product knowledge in most computer stores is awful. It's fine if you have some sort of basic question about the price for example but if you want to know how to setup a wireless network...forget it.

This is what makes me want to work in a computer department, because I have past knowledge of PCs and Macs I could actually provide customer service!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
There's a lot of people who like to talk about things they know nothing about. Makes their comments non-relevant to the issue. Like...consider the source. Means nothing to us who know about using a Mac and what it can do.

Thing is, I don't care if people like windows pc better. To each his own. We're all different so I say just let them be and I'm glad they're happy with what they use.

Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss... Most of their hands have probably never crossed a Mac's keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The only reason why people believed pc's where better is because of the faster clocking speeds on the processors whereas the PPC makes had more powerful processor power from a slower speed therefore making it the better chip.

Until apple went intel, PC were always faster. Clock speed or not. Smaller pipeline bla bla, RISC based bla bla... BS. Apple hyped the 'superior' chips. But I've never in my life see an apple beat a PC in speed... expect for in apple ads and keynotes. Forget the maximum security testing labs. In real life. School, work, etc.

Easier to use. Nice to use. Would rather use. Yes, yes, yes. No way were macs ever faster until the intel went in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Until I had the opportunity to use Macs I had only ever heard things like "Macs are just a box, they can't do much" or "they're only good for graphic design." I'm grateful I worked for someone who had one so I could get my own experience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Seems like most of the people there were ok, either making valid points or just opting out to comment as they never worked with a mac, but a couple were just boneheads.

The guy commenting on upgrades did rephrase his comment to hardware, not software, and even made a dig comment against Vista.

Overall it seemed like most people had the "to each his own" feeling, which I feel as well.

Good job standing up for the MAc crowd Cheese.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Seems like most of the people there were ok, either making valid points or just opting out to comment as they never worked with a mac
Yeah, I didn't see any real "Anti Mac" discussion there either.

Besides, even if there was any, it is better off ignoring it and leaving it go. Chiming in is almost always a bad move, as it usually results in starting arguments or flame wars. Nobody wants that on a forum.

It all comes down to a person's opinion and that is that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Until apple went intel, PC were always faster. Clock speed or not. Smaller pipeline bla bla, RISC based bla bla... BS. Apple hyped the 'superior' chips. But I've never in my life see an apple beat a PC in speed... expect for in apple ads and keynotes. Forget the maximum security testing labs. In real life. School, work, etc.

Easier to use. Nice to use. Would rather use. Yes, yes, yes. No way were macs ever faster until the intel went in them.

That's not entirely true. Apple's RISC based processors were indeed faster than Intel's CISC based processors, at least at the lower frequencies. When Intel's processors started hitting the 3GHz mark did CISC finally beat out RISC. It has something to do with the inherent properties of each processor design.

Now the latest processor designs by Intel just completely blow everything out of the water. But they took a cue from IBM and AMD. Instead of just increasing clock speed, they actually focused on the architecture and are finally back on the performance throne.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not entirely true. Apple's RISC based processors were indeed faster than Intel's CISC based processors, at least at the lower frequencies. When Intel's processors started hitting the 3GHz mark did CISC finally beat out RISC. It has something to do with the inherent properties of each processor design.

Now the latest processor designs by Intel just completely blow everything out of the water. But they took a cue from IBM and AMD. Instead of just increasing clock speed, they actually focused on the architecture and are finally back on the performance throne.

Intel always used to be better than AMD in my opinion.
AMD i have always seen as 'gaming' processors.
However now with intels 64 bit processors i see little difference personally.
I guess its an arguement like what is betta Nvidea or ATI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're entitled to your opinion. It isn't right, but you're still entitled to it....

With the last generation of processors, AMD swept the floor with Intel's processors. They weren't just "gaming" processors, they did exceptionally well in every category. This was even more the case when AMD came out with its dual-core line and completely dominated over Intel's first attempt into dual-core.

However, Intel's current offerings are without a doubt much more powerful than its AMD comparison. Then again, AMD hasn't really released its answer to Intel's Conroe. So it's really not a fair comparison when pitting Intel's latest processors to AMD's last generation. Within the next few months, we should see what AMD has to offer.

As for the argument between nVidia and ATI. Choosing just one is plain stupid. You should always just buy whichever one offers the most bang for your buck. Nobody like a fanboy ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kash, 1000% agree. AMD with the first XP's were beating out the PIII and then the P4 till intel bumped up the bus 533 then 800Mhz and pushed the clock to the 3Ghz area, then Intel started to beat out AMD, but AMD came back with the AMD 64 and again was in the lead and not just in Games, Everything. Intel is now again ahead and by quite a bit this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.