another slow macbook thread

Reaction score
As the title says really, for a few weeks now my 2012 Macbook Pro is running slow and freezing even doing the simplest of tasks like writing this message.

some info on my mac -

Macbook Pro 13inch 2012
2.5 GHz intel core i5
4GB 1600 ram
500gb sata disk

it suddenly just began to run slow so I did a fresh install of mavericks, no luck. So I did a fresh install of snow leopard again no luck and since then have worked back up and now running on Yosemite.

The only way the laptop seems to perform at an okay pace is if I am running disk utility, whether that be a verifying/repair the permissions or erasing free space... but still it is slow but at least it usable to some degree.
Also yesterday I booted up and got the no entry sign on start up, did this a few times through the day but today this issue has not come back.

any ideas on what could be up?

the laptop was dropped from a considerable height last winter but after it happen the only damage was cosmetic and it performed fine until a few weeks back..

I have thought about replacing the disk or ram but I don't want to spend the money incase I'm wrong or missed out something

any help is appreciated? thanks adam.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run a verify and repair check on the hard drive. My guess is that the hard drive may be on its last leg. Use your disk to boot the machine and run the verify and repair from Disk Utility.

OP
A
Reaction score
Run a verify and repair check on the hard drive. My guess is that the hard drive may be on its last leg. Use your disk to boot the machine and run the verify and repair from Disk Utility.

Right I ran disk utility from recovery mode and it came up with EFI problems, repair these then did a fresh recovery install of mountain lion...

And its still running slow, opened disk utility in the fresh install, no issues with disk but ran a permissions scan some differed but ran a repair afterwards...

these were the differences -

Verifying permissions for “Untitled”
Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.
Permissions differ on “System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/CoreGraphics”; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources”; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on “System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/Current”; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

I have had the activity monitor open as well and with just finder, safari (4 tabs), activity monitor and disk utility open is using around 3.50gb of the 4gb I have, is this right? also around a 1gb page ins and 0 page outs...

any help appreciated thanks! adam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.