Another question from a switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late2014); Model A1347; OS Sierra, version 10.12.6
I have a Seagate free agent 2tb external hard drive that has been used some to back up a windows machine. It has 1.76tb free space on it. Can I use this hard drive to back up my Mac Mini or do I need to get another hard drive? If I can use it, how hard is it to get the HD set up to use? Thanks!
Bill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That hard drive probably needs to be wiped & reformatted to use with Apple computers. Once reformatted...using it with your Mac-Mini for backups is easy.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes you can use that drive but you will have to reformat it. This should get you started.

1. Before you do anything else backup any files that you need from that drive. Reformatting the drive is going to erase its contents.
2. These directions explain how to use Disk Utility to format the drive and prepare it for backup. The video is talking about backing up a startup drive but the same principles apply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.