Another **** newbie, w/questions

G

ghenrytaylor

OK, I delved into Mac tepidly, I've purchased a used iBook on ebay, 700, 384, G3. Want to test drive this thing (arrives tomorrow) and see if it works for me. If so, a new G4 iBook next Christmas.
I've read all the forums for the past week and answered a lot of the questions I have. There are a few that weren't and I would appreciate your help.
1- Are there any compatible apps from a windoz machine that work on Macs.
2- Firewall protection, I use ZoneAlarm, do I need a Mac version or some other app.
3- Learning curve for a "switcher".
4- What browsers (use Opera and Firebird on windoz).
5- What about flash and other plug-ins.
6- Is there a Mac equivilent of the windoz update, and if so, how is it accomplished.
7- Do Macs have floppy and/or PCMCIA slots.
8- Why a dual boot OS (9 and X).

These are to get me started, Hope they don't irratate you too bad.

Thanks in advance,
Henry Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1 - you will have to check on the system requirements for what you have to see if it is hybrid
2 - built in firewall in OS X
3 - Depends can be from 2 days to 2 months depending on how easy you learn
4 - Safari (built in in OS X) is one of the most popular but there are mozilla browsers
5 - No problems
6 - System Update - Go to the apple at the top left hand side of the screen and click system update. much easier than windows update and doesn't need to be done as often
7 - there are the regular pcmcia slots like on peec laptops. there are no floppys in any current apples
8 - Dual boot was for people who were on mac from the beginning and had many programs that weren't made for OS X. OS 9 is not really necessary for a switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zapple and to think i have only had a mac for a total of 6 months. I just switched over in July

OP
Z

Zapple

Sweet, I got it this past Christmas, from my Mom and Dad. It is soooo cool.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

trpnmonkey41 said:
zapple and to think i have only had a mac for a total of 6 months. I just switched over in July

Hm....that should answer the learning curve question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JazzTrpt said:
Hm....that should answer the learning curve question

it was great for me i got it on a monday during the summer (my only off day from work). so i had that whole day and i got lucky with work that whole week and was home by 11:30 took a nap and had plenty of time to mess around on it

OP
Z

Zach_C

I just have to add to the learning curve. I am a recent switcher also. The first day I was completely lost. I could work around but did not know some little things like how to open the combo drive. I resorted to opening it through iTunes. Then I found the magic keyboard button. So much nicer then hitting a button on the tower. After the first couple of days it goes by fast. In a week I made my first cocoa program which I am still ecstatic about. It sure beats programming in DOS.

Tell me how Ebay works out. I am skeptical. I have wanted to buy an old clamshell iBook but am afraid of the risk. But the look of the clamshell is calling me. I also would love to write school papers in the park.

OP
Z

Zapple

Cool Zach. I like those versions of ibooks also. They look more flashy. I have an iBook myswlf, and it workd great, I have a G4, and for he bbay thing, I would mae sure you are paying for what you get. Just remember to be carful.

OP
G

ghenrytaylor

OK. I got the iBook Thursday. So very cool. I'm feeling my way around and all seems pretty good. My delima is the previous owner is listed as the Admin and I can't make any changes. To correct this I believe I'll have to reinstall the OS and backup programs. My question is how. Is this a straight forward insert the CD's and go or is there some step I should include but am not aware of ( ended in a prep, I know). Any and all help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
And I did get this of eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just pop in the CDs. I recommend not opening the files straight from the CD but rather

Reboot the Computer
once it starts the boot up hold down C
it will boot from CD
When you get to the drive destination choice click installation options (something like that) and do a clean install

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.