Reaction score
If you're going to get any of these apps - now is probably a good time

BundleHunt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Definitely a good deal especially for iStat Menus. I already have a copy otherwise I would go for it.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I'm always looking for a decent pdf application to replace the ancient Adobe Acrobat and a simple video editor.

I bought a few pdf applications on bundle hunt previously-they were cheap enough but the software was very poor - put together by amateurs it seems.
What I was looking was an application that allows editing of pdf documents, primarily text, and to convert pdf's into Word documents or text without loosing all the formatting.
An integral OCR function would be nice as well.

On the video editing something like the video equivalent of audacity would be great - where one can easily edit down to practically the millisecond.
Right now I'm mostly using Simple Movie X but I have difficulty editing precisely.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've gone for Bundle Hunt specials several times. But it was usually because there were one or two apps that were especially discounted. However, along with those several apps that you might want, there are others that you may find no use for at all.

The last Bundle Hunt special I purchased included a program that I wanted but thought was too expensive to buy stand alone: "Starry Night Pro" (Amatuer Star Gazer program) was discounted down from its usual price but along with it I wound up with apps that I had no use for.

Still a great bargain even though I tossed most of the other apps that were included.

Reaction score
I'm always looking for a decent pdf application to replace the ancient Adobe Acrobat...
An integral OCR function would be nice as well...

My MacAttorney user group is always interested in that too, because attorneys so often use PDF's.

The most popular alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro is:

PDFpen ($80)
PDF Editor - PDFpen - Edit PDF Files | Smile Software
(There is a more expensive Pro version if you need to create PDF forms.)

However, there is a newcomer on the scene, and it has tremendous potential. I haven't tested it yet though. It is :

Kofax Power PDF for Mac ($129)
Kofax Power PDF Standard for Mac – secure, editable PDF software for MacOS - without subscription fees. | Kofax

What's most impressive about Kofax is that they have licensed the entire OmniPage Pro OCR engine. (PDFpen has licensed part of the same engine.) The OmniPage Pro OCR engine is by far the best OCR engine in existence. It can detect and preserve complex formatting like nothing else.

If you download and try the free demo of Kofax Power PDF, please let us know what you think!

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
My MacAttorney user group is always interested in that too, because attorneys so often use PDF's.

The most popular alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro is:

PDFpen ($80)
PDF Editor - PDFpen - Edit PDF Files | Smile Software
(There is a more expensive Pro version if you need to create PDF forms.)

However, there is a newcomer on the scene, and it has tremendous potential. I haven't tested it yet though. It is :

Kofax Power PDF for Mac ($129)
Kofax Power PDF Standard for Mac – secure, editable PDF software for MacOS - without subscription fees. | Kofax

What's most impressive about Kofax is that they have licensed the entire OmniPage Pro OCR engine. (PDFpen has licensed part of the same engine.) The OmniPage Pro OCR engine is by far the best OCR engine in existence. It can detect and preserve complex formatting like nothing else.

If you download and try the free demo of Kofax Power PDF, please let us know what you think!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually bought PDFpenPro and then found out I couldn't use it since I'm still on macOS10.11

Same for Kofax - it requires10.12 minimum.

Guess I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade - probably to Mojave to be able to keep any 32-bit apps at least for the time being.

Reaction score
Guess I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade - probably to Mojave to be able to keep any 32-bit apps at least for the time being.

Just a quick tip....if your Mac has an internal rotating disk hard drive, you may want to stop at High Sierra and go no higher. Mojave or Catalina will convert your internal RDHD to APFS, and there is a noticeable reduction in performance with certain actions that comes with that. APFS is optimized for SSD's, and it is less than optimal for RDHD's.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Just a quick tip....if your Mac has an internal rotating disk hard drive, you may want to stop at High Sierra and go no higher. Mojave or Catalina will convert your internal RDHD to APFS, and there is a noticeable reduction in performance with certain actions that comes with that. APFS is optimized for SSD's, and it is less than optimal for RDHD's.

Thanks Randy - I had read some articles about the issues running APFS on spinner drives.

For now I had installed Mojave on an external spinner drive to do a bit of testing that way (before I read about the APFS concerns), but so far I had not noticed the reduction in performance that supposedly happens.
Maybe I haven't used Mojave enough yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just a quick tip....if your Mac has an internal rotating disk hard drive, you may want to stop at High Sierra and go no higher.

i was reading a similar suggestion not long ago with some legitimate reasons to stop at Sierra, and they strongly suggested to avoid High Sierra, but damned if i can find the URL or remember the actual reasons, but they listed several.

I believe one of the main reasons was that High Sierra was causing a lot of files to disappear and be lost.

Again, this was for those Mac models using spinner hard drives and for those planning to do a MacOS System upgrade.

- Patrick
======I

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The conversion to APFS when upgrading to High Sierra was optional and it was recommended for SSDs only. There should be no problem with High Sierra other than at the the time, APFS was new.

Reaction score
For now I had installed Mojave on an external spinner drive to do a bit of testing that way (before I read about the APFS concerns), but so far I had not noticed the reduction in performance that supposedly happens.

My understanding is that Mojave doesn't automatically convert external hard drives to APFS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that Mojave doesn't automatically convert external hard drives to APFS.

That is correct. The same holds true for Catalina, otherwise Time Machine would no longer work with external hard drives. Time Machine requires an external drive to be formatted to HFS+. I suspect Apple will change that in a future update to macOS and allow Time Machine to work with both file systems.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Mac Product Key Finder Pro $4.00
I can imagine how helpful this could be for lots of people. I'd love to have this on a flash drive. Personally I already have that list but a really handy tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score

Hmmmmm...then I don't understand the following:

I have an external Seagate 750GB spinner drive with a USB 3.0 interface
Partitioned it into 2 partition, each one 375GB using Disk Utility on the Mac Mini running El Capitan.
Backed up a 93GB folder on one partition
Installed Mojave on the other 375GB partition.
So far so good.

I booted up Mojave on the external last night - all worked fine, downloaded Firefox and also Kofax Power pdf.
Everything worked as it should. Then it got too late and I quit.
So much for the background

What I don't understand is why that external, when I check in Disk Utility, only shows the partition with the folder and not the partition with the Mojave OS.
Same for what shows up on the desktop - only the folder comes up.
When I check the partition Mojave is on in Disk Utility > Partition, it comes up as "untitled"

I always thought this haqppened because the partition that Mojave was installed on was changed to APFS which Disk Utility in El Capitan would not recognize.
And when I installed Mojave on that partition, there wasno option to useAPFS or HFS+

All that leads me to believe the Mojave partion was converted to APFS automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Miscommunication. You, krs, installed Mojave on the partition. I think what Randy was saying was that Mojave won't convert an external drive to APFS to store data on it. But for a system installation, it will do so. But the process was not "automatic" because you installed the OS, part of which was to reformat the partition.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Jake -

Randy was replying to my post
with

We were not talking about storing data on the external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@krs, I know that. I was responding to what you said:
All that leads me to believe the Mojave partion was converted to APFS automatically.
Not automatically, you commanded it with the installation. I know you said that earlier, but my observation is that installing Mojave on an external drive triggers the formatting. I guess it depends on what the definition of "automatic" is.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
@Jake
To me "automatic" means without any specific action by myself and without any indication that the file system was changed.

If I was an average Mac user (like every one else in my family), I would not even know that Apple changed the file system in Mojave and what the implication was for spinner drives.
Yes - I "commanded" the installation (very nice term btw), but there was no indication that there would be an 'automatic' change to a different file system with a rather noticeable "reduction in performance"

For me this is becoming now a moot point since I came across a dirt cheap 500GB external SSD for just $C69.-, that's less than $US 50.-. I'm going to get one of those and install and use Mojave that way with my 2012 Mini for the time being.

Reaction score

There is no need to guess. Boot from the Moajave partition and have a look in System Profiler and see how things are formatted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.