Anonymous Internet Surfing

Z

zero2hero

Is there anyway or software that hides your IP address when surfing the net.
My friend with a PC claims it's really easy on his!!!

:)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Yes and no. You can go through an anonymous proxy, which will obfuscate your address from the locations you are surfing. It is not really hiding your address though, just making it inaccessable from the endpoint. Mostly it is useful in the other direction though, where you want to hide your destination from the local network to bypass site restrictions.

EDIT: Note that this is the same regardless or OS involved. IP spoofing, proxies, bouncing, are all done the same way regardless of OS. Certain tricks (such as changing the MAC) are easier on some operating systems but the mechanics of it are the same.

OP
Z

zero2hero

Thanks for that!
I was hoping there might be a piece of software that you click the button 'Hide IP Address' and hey presto, your surfing anonymously!
Is there a step by step guide anywhere for setting up IP spoofing etc?

OP
K

Kokopelli

Not that I know of... Why do you feel the need? It is not a thing needed most of the time and is not helpful from a security standpoint.

OP
Z

zero2hero

No particular reason! Just the usual Mac V's PC thing. I was convinced it would be easier on a mac. I guess the PC wins! Oh well you win some you lose some.
:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Mac is still better!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.