An issue I have been avoiding for 3 years

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I thought I would borrow your brains for a while....Really I need help.

This is an issue I have been avoiding for 3 years and I think it's time I confronted it now!

About three years ago I tried to upgrade my old iPhone to a newer version - iPhone 4s to 5 on my MacBook Pro.

I backed up the 4s and transferred pics to iPhoto and restored from backup on the iPhone 5. I then shut the mac down.................................or so I thought.

On the off chance I opened up my Mac about 3 months later and it started to load like when you run out of battery, I guess it loads from memory.

I don't know what happened but obviously it did not shutdown properly. I then went to iPhoto to make sure that the photos I loaded from my 4s transfer were there but they were not.

Then shocked by panic I just decided to shut it down via the off button....since then I have not turned on the Mac.

I am sure even to this day I definitely transferred the pictures to iPhoto.

Is there anyway possible iPhoto may not have refreshed the pics or something or can I restore them?

Any help or advice will or a step-by-step guide on what to do next would be much appreciated.

Regards,

JJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Your photos MAY have been migrated to Photos since iPhoto is no more. Could be worth a look.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Tough post to follow, but here is what I can provide..

Assuming the iPhoto import from your 4S was successful, the images should've stayed regardless of the length between turning the Mac off and on again. Not sure why you would force shutdown the Mac when something you were expecting to see wasn't there, since that is definitely NOT going to help.

Anyway, depending on the version of iPhoto, check the following folders to see if your pictures are there:

Code:
[B]iPhoto 11 (9.0) Photo Library Storage Location:[/B]
In the latest versions of iPhoto you will find your pictures stored in the user library Pictures folder inside a self contained Iphoto library package, that file and location is the following:

~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/

Inside that directory you will find the originals, sorted by date, and broken into subfolders for additional pictures. This is the same with all new versions of iPhoto.

[B]iPhoto 10 picture library:[/B]
~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/

[B]iPhoto 9 pictures location:[/B]
/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/

[B]iPhoto 8 and prior versions pictures location:[/B]
/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So when you transferred pics to iPhoto I take it you mean you opened iPhoto (or it was set to open on connection of the iPhone) and you downloaded all new photos to the app.
Then you did a backup with iTunes and restored the backup onto your new phone.
If you quit each of those apps after the process then all data should be there as described by Ashwin above.
My concern is that it may not have been indexed because the battery ran down before that could be completed by shutting down. Also you don't say what Operating System you are using or what device.
In any case you will need to turn the machine on before we can establish if you even have a problem. Either they will be there or they will not, if not then we can troubleshoot the issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there thanks for your replies

Yes. When I plugged in iPhone to macbook iPhoto opened and then I downloaded all new photos to iPhoto.
Yes. I then did backup with iTunes of old iPhone and restored the backup onto the new iPhone.

I then went to Shutdown and Closed screen.

A few months later I tried to turn it on and there was no charge. I charged it for a couple of hours and opened up the screen, turned it on and it started to do a little loading bar and the applications were visible in the background while it was loading.

It was a Macbook Pro 13inch before 2012 I think I purchased in 2008
I think the operating system was Snow Leopard

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just going to turn on my Mac after all of these years. Hopefully all photos will be there. If not, I need your advice.

Many thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi everyone many thanks for your kind help I found the photos in the end they were at the top of iPhoto indexed under untitled so they were not actually put in a right to date or order thanks for all your help the laptop is now on eBay for sale

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.