• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Amazing find!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not worth anywhere near what he thinks.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wouldn't be making this thread if it was a buy it now sale, but there are actual bids, showing that at least a few people think it's worth that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I suspect they are scam bids, made by friends to bump it, or idiots who know no better :D
I reckon it'll get pulled before the official end of sale.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It is my observation that the easiest way to sell something that is essentially worthless is to price it extravagantly.

After all, how many people would actually rave over (or even eat at all) smoked fish eggs if we didn't call them by a fancy name, caviar, and charge outrageous prices for the same.

And, yes, I have had the expensive stuff . . . Regardless of how much it costs it is still eggs that taste fishy and smoky. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I doubt any cheating(shill bidding) would be needed for the price to reach what it is right now anyways. Have you seen the bidders accounts? Bidding details suggests otherwise. What would you expect out of an 8-year old iPod that's still in its wrapper?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Forgive my cynicism, but I find it hard to believe that you would go to the trouble of joining a forum and linking to someone else's eBay item just because it's overpriced. I mean, we're not talking about a million dollar grilled cheese sandwich that looks like it has the outline of Jesus on it. Perhaps it's just me, but this wouldn't be the first time I've seen items on eBay being bid up well beyond their retail value.

OP
S
Reaction score
You people...it's not my eBay item!

I found this on eBay and had to tell someone about it, so I searched "Apple Forum" on Google and this seemed like a legitimate result, so I made an account and posted.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

I found this on eBay and had to tell someone about it, so I searched "Apple Forum" on Google and this seemed like a legitimate result, so I made an account and posted.

We get an unbelievable amount of Spam type postings. They usually have some sort of semi-credible story, come from someone as a first or second post, and contain a link to an item for sale.

Hence the skepticism. Don't be offended by it (unless you really are a spammer). If you stick around long enough you will understand the reaction to your post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Even in the box sealed to me it's worth maybe $40-50 Max. It's old and still has a 15GB hard drive. I love that model to death but wow. I could even see someone paying $100 for it if they were a real collector or something but over $1000? No way! :D

And Razor, well said. That is why some have reacted that way.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well you guys can rest easy, I'm not a spammer.

I just thought it was amazing that it was still sealed. I would have imagined someone would have used it by now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Someone refresh my memory. Other than it being sealed in box what makes this a rare item?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sly, not trying to back up that seller, but a 3g iPod is a pretty rare item especially brand new. I hate the newer iPods in fact compared to that model. That is my only iPod left in fact as I really like it. Like I said $50 maybe.

And people do go off on a old item like that sealed in original packaging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Brand new iMac > 8 year old iPod.

Seriously? Why would ANYBODY pay that much for an item like this. I wouldn't pay that much if Steve Jobs used it himself.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sly, not trying to back up that seller, but a 3g iPod is a pretty rare item especially brand new. I hate the newer iPods in fact compared to that model. That is my only iPod left in fact as I really like it. Like I said $50 maybe.

And people do go off on a old item like that sealed in original packaging.

I like those models as well. Just wondered what made it "rare" other than the fact it was still in original packaging. I was thinking something like you were. If I were being overly generous $100.00. Otherwise $50.00 is about right.

Reaction score

lol, you have wayyy too much time on your hands

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brand new iMac > 8 year old iPod.

Seriously? Why would ANYBODY pay that much for an item like this. I wouldn't pay that much if Steve Jobs used it himself.

Not to put anyone down but there are some fans of Steve Jobs who would purchase his dirty socks just to have something of his! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Time for me to find a first generation iPhone, still sealed, and keep it for about 20 years. Then I can sell it for a million bucks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.