Am I the only one with the problem Yosemite and Messages don't mix?

Reaction score
I bought a new MacBook Pro 15 when I was in the States 2 months ago. It came equipped with Messages. Messages has worked fine until I installed Yosemite on Friday. Since then Messages stopped working and when I restart into the remote disc form, I can no longer use the Disc Utility to check the MacHD. Any ideas? It is 3PM Perth Western Australia time which makes it 3AM Eastern Standard Time US, so I don't expect too many replies at this time. Thanks!

Last edited:
C

chas_m

and when I restart into the remote disc form, I can no longer use the Disc Utility to check the MacHD

I have no idea what this sentence means, or what it could possibly have to do with Messages.

Why not just re-add your phone numbers and/or email addresses to Messages?

For the record, I haven't had to do that with mine, but I have noticed notifications when I would update the iOS or OS X machines that notified me that my usual emails/numbers were now being used by the freshly-upgraded machine, so there's obviously some kind of re-registration process used by Messages and FaceTime.

I use Messages nearly constantly now, either the Handoff function that allows me to send SMS messages or receive/make phone calls, as well as in a collaborative environment with work, and iMessages to friends with iPhones/iPads/Macs. Apart from a disappointing dropping of AOL chat room compatibility, Messages has been working as expected through the beta process and now.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yosemite and Messages don't mix.....

Hi chas_m!

When I spoke about Disc utility not functioning in remote disc mode, I mean when I restart my Mac and hold down the Command key and R I thought this was called going to remote disc. You then have the option of four softwares, the bottom one being Disc Utility. I chose Disc Utility. My hard drive is listed on the left hand side. There are two versions of it and I would normally choose the bottom one. I can then usually perform a disc repair or a disc permissions repair.
Mac HD xxxx
Mac HD *****
I can only perform a disc repair on this upper noted with xxxx but I would normally carry out disc repair or disc permission repair on the lower one marked *****.
That is problem #1.
Problem #2. Three days into Yosemite and now Messages no longer functions. I had hoped by doing #1, that Problem #2 would be fixed. Beginning to think Yosemite may have some issues affecting other new software. I have been running IOS* on my iPhone5 for several weeks without any problem. So I don't think it is an iPhone/Mac issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chas_m

Ah, you mean the Recovery partition. Nothing to do with remote discs.

You don't have to boot into Recovery mode to do a permissions repair. Simply run it from your boot drive using Disk Utility.

Can you be more specific about the issue with Messages?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi chas_m

When I go to messages which opens at start up. I find the window only partly opened with my name and showing status invisible. When I move the cursor over it, I get the multicoloured spinning wheel! have attached what I see.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like Messages is locking. It did that to me on an early Beta of Yosemite. Can you remove all the accounts and re-add them? I think someone suggested that. If it's locking though you might not be able to access Messages Preferences and zap the chat accounts. See if you can and report back!

OP
G
Reaction score
Dennis
Have left Force Quit open. Messages (not responding)
Thx
George

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can not get to my iMac right now with Yosemite on it. I would suggest deleting the Messages pList files. I would tell you how to get to them if I could get to my Mac, Will later and report back.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis!
Its 11PM here in Perth, West Australia and I'm pooped and heading for bed. Will await your instructions.
Thanks
George

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Dennis!
Am awaiting further instruction on how to delete pList noted.

OP
G
Reaction score
The problem has corrected it self when I booted it this morning. Also spoke to Apple. They want to keep tabs of this as well. Thanks for trying to help. George

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's now working. I tried to find the Plists and did not first try and then things got crazy here. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. Let us know if this keeps working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.