Am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
OK so I'm a massive Apple fan and would defend their products to anyone. However, since I've had my Macbook Pro I've had nothing but problems.

In its 1 and a half year life span I've had to restore/reinstall at least 30 times. Occasionally I'll turn it off (using the proper methods not holding the button down) and when I switch it on it will either get stuck on the Apple Logo with the spinning icon underneath or when it loads into the OS it shows my desktop and all icons but just freezes.

The most recent one (today), I installed ESET Antivirus to try it out. When it has finished installing I clicked restart. Now it loads my desktop but just freezes. I've repaired both the disk and it's permissions and I'm not reinstalling the 500GBs worth of stuff again.

I've tried reinstalling Lion which installs everything around my content so nothing is touched but half the time it still doesn't work.

I've now resorted to never switching it off in fear of it not switching on again. I have a constant Time Machine link running so I always have the stuff backed up but I don't expect it to go wrong as much as it does.

I spent £80 on Disk Warrior which seems to do the trick but that is just a quick solution. I'd like a full solution or at least some insight into what it is I'm doing wrong which, as far as I'm concerned, is nothing.

Anyone else experience this many problems? If so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Reload it, but be sure to format the the HD. Yes this will destroy all data on the disk. Then create a new user with a different name.

Then use Time Machine to restore the previous user account.

If you have issues with your Mac now it is going to be account related or hardware related. If the disk is reported as good then it may be Ram or logic board.

Try booting using CMD+v to see if there are boot errors. This method would show you problems loading items.

If the account is bad then copy data to the fresh account you created on install and change the permissions of the data accordingly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In its 1 and a half year life span

- 1.5 years ago when you got this computer...was it brand new...or a used computer?
- What model computer is it (Mac-mini, Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro)?
- What are this computers specs?

I've had to restore/reinstall at least 30 times.

You really shouldn't have had to even do an OS reinstall even once. As you can see...even after 30 reinstalls...it hasn't solved the problem!;)

...I installed ESET Antivirus to try it out. When it has finished installing I clicked restart. Now it loads my desktop but just freezes. I've repaired both the disk and it's permissions and I'm not reinstalling the 500GBs worth of stuff again.

Most experts will agree that you really don't need anti-virus software on a Mac...and by installing it...you may just be causing yourself more headaches.

Before even getting any info from you...and given the info so far...I'm suspecting a bad hard drive.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Reload it, but be sure to format the the HD. Yes this will destroy all data on the disk. Then create a new user with a different name.

Then use Time Machine to restore the previous user account.

If you have issues with your Mac now it is going to be account related or hardware related. If the disk is reported as good then it may be Ram or logic board.

Try booting using CMD+v to see if there are boot errors. This method would show you problems loading items.

If the account is bad then copy data to the fresh account you created on install and change the permissions of the data accordingly.

I started from scratch about 5 weeks ago. I've also used the CMD+V and I do see a few errors but it goes past that bit so quickly I don't get a chance to write them down.

- 1.5 years ago when you got this computer...was it brand new...or a used computer?
- What model computer is it (Mac-mini, Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro)?
- What are this computers specs?

You really shouldn't have had to even do an OS reinstall even once. As you can see...even after 30 reinstalls...it hasn't solved the problem!;)

Most experts will agree that you really don't need anti-virus software on a Mac...and by installing it...you may just be causing yourself more headaches.

Before even getting any info from you...and given the info so far...I'm suspecting a bad hard drive.

- Nick

- The Macbook was brand new from an Apple Store.
- It's a Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2010)

This thing has also had about 3 HDD's in it.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've managed to restore my macbook to 1 hour before installing the antivirus and it's working perfectly.

I've had the same problem before when a perfectly normal program will install fine (As far as i can see) but when I restart my laptop it stops working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.