Am I bad?

Reaction score
I have to question myself to see if I have just done a terrible thing....

I myself am a long time windows user, I have made the switch to Mac mentally - just not bought the goods yet (going travelling so I have to wait. arrrrgh!) I cannot wait for the day when I finally transition over and say bye bye to M$ for good.

Anyway...

My parents are not computer literate - absolute beginners, I have just set up internet access for them to use for the first time.... thing is they got a PC with windoh's xpeeeee. They could have been oblivious to the world of windows and began computer life on a mac.... instead they will not know any better. I have started them off on the poorest OS available.

I feel ashamed! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
LOL.. What they dont know cant hurt them.

It may be better if they dont know what they're missing. I myself am trying to get an iMac as a family computer, my parents might well flip when they realise the minor differences in controls, so I might have to teach them :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I think you've done the right thing, when you are trying to get into something, a new hobby or a new way of working you want the industry standard

If computers are supposed to be so simple you weant the most options open to them

I'm sure two adults can make a choice on a computing platform when they are quite ready..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
What they dont know cant hurt them.

LOL ~ well, it could hurt them, but they won't know they're in pain?!? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
LOL ~ well, it could hurt them, but they won't know they're in pain?!? ;D

Exactly.

Now if you were bad.. You could laugh at their pain ;D

OP
stoldie
Reaction score
;D

The funny thing is, when I show them how to do things - [like download photos from emails, search for flights, use messenger etc] - they are totally in awe that they can do these things..... like it's magic or something. :)
All the while - I am sitting there saying to myself... "man, if only they knew!"

I think I shall wait until they actually become competent with computers [might take time - especially using M$ hahaha]
Then unleash the brilliance that is Mac and OSX - Then, like me, they'll never look back!

Keep up the good work ladies and Gentlemen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Only knew what, exactly?

If they are in awe then why would tey even need the change?

This whole thread is just how you've had bad experiences with microsoft products or that they aren't your preference.

Not once have we heard a true opinon from your parents..

OP
stoldie
Reaction score
Miffle.. The point I was trying to make is that they are absolute beginners, so in your opinion is it worth even bothering to start them on windoh's when inevitably [if they are exposed to macs] they will find using them a heck of a lot easier - and enjoy the experience more.
Windohs is not geared towards the beginner in my view.

so if you were starting someone off from scratch... would you get them started on OSX?

My parents cannot really have an opinion yet as they literally are beginners.. i.e. yesterday.

ok i'll grant you that I have included my own grievances in this thread - it is hard not to though - apologies. But the original question remains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you've done the right thing, stoldie. Might as well start them on 'training wheels!' :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
can someone tell me if macs slow down over time, like my dell has?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
can someone tell me if macs slow down over time, like my dell has?

This is called "Windows Rot"... google it you'll find plenty of info. XP machines slow down for several reasons. Installing and uninstalling programs, start-up programs, bloatware, installing fonts, viruses and spyware... Vista is supposed to have improved on the rotting problem.

One of the biggest advantages of OSX is that it automatically defrags itself so that files don't become cluttered like in XP as they are added, removed, and transferred. Combine that with the fact that you will not get any viruses or spyware and you don't need to install antivirus or antispyware programs that are notorious for causing slow boot ups and wreaking havoc on system memory. So no... you will not experience "OSX Rot"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
This is called "Windows Rot"... google it you'll find plenty of info. XP machines slow down for several reasons. Installing and uninstalling programs, start-up programs, bloatware, installing fonts, viruses and spyware... Vista is supposed to have improved on the rotting problem.

One of the biggest advantages of OSX is that it automatically defrags itself so that files don't become cluttered like in XP as they are added, removed, and transferred. Combine that with the fact that you will not get any viruses or spyware and you don't need to install antivirus or antispyware programs that are notorious for causing slow boot ups and wreaking havoc on system memory. So no... you will not experience "OSX Rot"...

flilow06 makes a good point. I've also not experienced any slowdowns with either my Mini or my MBP, and my Mini has been running nearly 24/7 since December.

P.S. flilow06 has a sweet avatar. I <3 my VW's also ('02.5 GTI 1.8T, '03 Jetta TDI)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In a situation where a relative was genuinely getting their first computer experience, and assuming the cost of the system was no object, I'd be happier giving them a Mac than Windows. The reason is less to do with what is "most newbie friendly", and more to do with what is "most IT literate relative friendly". With a Mac I'm more likely to get calls along the lines of "How do I ...?", but on Windows it'd be "What's wrong with ...?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be happier giving them a Mac than Windows. The reason is less to do with what is "most newbie friendly", and more to do with what is "most IT literate relative friendly". With a Mac I'm more likely to get calls along the lines of "How do I ...?", but on Windows it'd be "What's wrong with ...?"

I'd have thought the same if stoldie were going to be around. Travelling for a year inhibits the relational tech support function! LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
interesting, so its not just me, thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.