Alternative to .Mac backup, mainly for iPhoto?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've always had .Mac because I worked at Apple. I love it really for Backup, since I can tell it to backup iPhoto and it keeps all the albums and such in their correct format. I don't work there anymore and so my account has expired and I'm not paying $149cad for a new account just for backup.

I'm just wondering if there's any other Backup programs, preferably free that would backup my iPhoto in the same way. I believe I can just copy the whole iPhoto Library as well and it will work but just wanted to check. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What about DVD backups? You just need to backup the entire iPhoto Library folder.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey everyone,

I've always had .Mac because I worked at Apple. I love it really for Backup, since I can tell it to backup iPhoto and it keeps all the albums and such in their correct format. I don't work there anymore and so my account has expired and I'm not paying $149cad for a new account just for backup.

I'm just wondering if there's any other Backup programs, preferably free that would backup my iPhoto in the same way. I believe I can just copy the whole iPhoto Library as well and it will work but just wanted to check. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with a free program that addresses the specific need to backup a single folder in the manner you describe, but why not just backup your entire system? Hard drive failures are becoming increasing common these days. I highly recommend that you consider buying an external hard drive and then using a utility like SuperDuper to do periodic backups. If you store anything of value on your system like photos, you won't regret it.

Reaction score
I can recommend www.mozy.com ... it's free if you're storing less than 2GB and pretty cheap above that as well. They have a Mac client in testing at the moment (I've got the beta installed and it works great). It backs up the files you want to their server, encoded with an optional encryption key (if you're concerned).

It runs invisibly behind the scenes and whenever the file has changed it gets backed up when the computer has some idle time. It's amazingly easy to use and takes a load off my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OP
E
Reaction score
I just couldn't remember if backing up the iPhoto library and dropping it back if that would go back to the way it was. .Mac backup makes it easy which is why I was checking but I'll try that. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.