All mail off line

Reaction score
I have done something by accident but don't know what.
Not only lost my iCloud ma0il address but all addresses and inboxes refuse to go on-line. I have recreated the iCloud email but it refuses to receive any mail. Tried recreating from Time Machine but unsuccessful.
Obviously something stupid so need help, please.
I am on iMac 10.14.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Mail Preferences and select "Accounts". Go through each account to make sure that the "Enable This Account" option is selected for each one.

Also check the server settings for your accounts.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you. I tried that and the system refused to respond.
I think I might have solved. Just before this happened I had an update to my iCloud installed but I am sure that is OK, but it allowed me to create replacement iCloud email address but not access it. All files were empty too.
Then I realised before that I installed AdGuard to rid me of annoying adverts. Being a new thing I switched it off and hey Presto all my mails came back. Maybe AdGuard is not compatible with OSX 10.14.6. perhaps I should uninstall.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Maybe AdGuard is not compatible with OSX 10.14.6. perhaps I should uninstall.

Perhaps you should - or maybe not! I have had AdGuard almost from its inception. Never had your problem.

AdGuard is easily turned Off/On by clicking on its icon in the top menu bar.

My research to date - and I've been through as many tutorials and AdGuard sites as I can find - and there does not appear to be any versions specific to an Operating System (OS). I may have missed something, of course; easily done!

I wonder if turning it back on again will make your mails disappear? Then turning it Off will result in their return? Worth a try?

My concern and comments arise from the fact that I've never seen this happen over the years with my Macs. And I'm asking myself how or why AdGuard would interfere with your mails?

Finally, just to humour me; are you using Apple's native Mail app to capture your emails?

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes I am using the standard Apple Mail application, and yes, mails appear and disappear when AdGuard is switched on and off! I did not realise there was an alternative to the basic Mail application.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for your very swift reply.

Well, you've proved cause & effect!

Could you check one thing for me please?

In Safari > Safari Preferences > Extensions, see if there are any AdGuard Extensions, in particular, AdGuard Assistant. If so, uncheck it (them). I found AdGuard Assistant too intrusive. I realise that Extensions are related to Safari, but the Assistant works in the background across all Internet-based actions.

If its not there, fine. If it is and you uncheck it (them), see if that changes anything.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Confirm no Assistant in extensions. I have removed AdGuard for safety. Pity, really, because I get sick of the Ads appearing when I look at YouTubes. AdBlock does not seem to be as powerful.
Grateful thanks for your help Ian.
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I too find it strange that ADB is causing your mail to go off line. I have both ADB and its control panel active at all times with no effect on my mail.

You might want to try using "Ka-Block!" instead. I have found it to be very effective against ads and pop ups.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Richard, all credit to you for solving the issue, I would never have thought of that and I still can't understand how AdGuard would effect the native Apple Mail app in that way.
I assume its the system wide, paid for version rather than the free AdGuard for Safari we are talking about here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.