All files gone, Macbook Air OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a HUGE problem I hope someone can help me with. A couple of days ago I turned my Macbook Air on (OS X Yosemite 10.10.2), and saw that the desktop photos had changed to standard ones. I thought this was odd, but didn't think more about it before I was trying to find a Pages file I had saved in my documents, and it was missing. I roamed through all my folders and subfolders which where all there, but the actual files were missing (all the folders were completely empty). They are not in the trash either. This is ALL the files in my documents, both .pdf and .pages and .jpgs. For some reason my iPhoto library and my music files are still there, but not anything else. I can't see any reason why this suddenly happened. Any ideas? And how can I restore these files? I don't have any backup since my external hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. So its pretty serious...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a HUGE problem I hope someone can help me with. A couple of days ago I turned my Macbook Air on (OS X Yosemite 10.10.2), and saw that the desktop photos had changed to standard ones. I thought this was odd, but didn't think more about it before I was trying to find a Pages file I had saved in my documents, and it was missing.

Is it possible that you are logged into the computer via a different account?

...I roamed through all my folders and subfolders which where all there, but the actual files were missing (all the folders were completely empty). They are not in the trash either. This is ALL the files in my documents, both .pdf and .pages and .jpgs. For some reason my iPhoto library and my music files are still there, but not anything else. I can't see any reason why this suddenly happened. Any ideas?

Are you sure nothing got deleted by accident?

And how can I restore these files? I don't have any backup since my external hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. So its pretty serious...

If the files are truly gone. Without a backup…how could they be restored? Great to hear that you did have a backup (at one time)…I guess getting a new storage device for backups ASAP would have been great.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello Nick,

At first I thought I was logged in as a guest, but this is not the case. I am logged in with my proper account.

I am very sure I didn't delete the files by accident. All the files in different locations throughout my documents are deleted, so it can't possibly have happened by accident.

I don't know if they can be restored, thats what I hoped I could find out here. Does things like this just happen? I am definitely getting a new hard drive...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am very sure I didn't delete the files by accident. All the files in different locations throughout my documents are deleted, so it can't possibly have happened by accident.

I didn't think that you would be able to REALLY answer this…since when things happen by accident…many times we don't know.;) But if someone else uses this computer…maybe they deleted something by accident.

If you are logged into the proper account…and you didn't accidentally delete anything…then the files should still be there. Files usually don't disappear randomly. If they did…I don't think that anyone would use a computer!;)

Could these files that are missing have been generated when logged in as "guest"?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.