alias to server with limited permissions

Reaction score
I need to make an alias to a folder on a server.

I usually make an alias by selecting the target folder, creating the alias in the same folder the target folder resides, and then dragging the alias to the desired location.

However, I do not have write privileges outside my folder; so I cannot create the alias here. Is there a way to send an alias directly to my desktop? or some other location where I have write permission?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Copying it over would still be writing. You'd need permissions to create anything, file, directory or alias on the server.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.

More specifically, my question is: is there a way to create an alias without writing on the server (e.g. write the alias directly to my desktop)? My pc allows me to do this by "sending" the shortcut to the desktop and does not require writing on the sever. Is this possible on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ohhhhh you're talking about aliasing to a file you can read? If you have read rights, you should be able to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Thanks for your answer.

More specifically, my question is: is there a way to create an alias without writing on the server (e.g. write the alias directly to my desktop)? My pc allows me to do this by "sending" the shortcut to the desktop and does not require writing on the sever. Is this possible on a mac?
Hold down Command and Option, and drag the icon to the Desktop or whatever writeable place you want the alias.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.