Airprint can't see printers "through" WAP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.2 GHZ Intel Core Duo [circa 2009] running Yosemite
Hello,
I have a Fios Quantum router, and for additional coverage at the back of the house I added a NetGear AC1200 R6120 wireless access point. It connects to the main router via ethernet.

If I walk up close to the main router, my iPhones and iPads can "see" the two Airprint printers just fine. This is true even though my devices are on a different radio band than the printers (devices are on 5Ghz while the printers only use 2.4 Ghz).

If I walk farther away, I can't see the Airport printers anymore. I think what is happening is that my devices are roaming to the Netgear WAP. I can't really verify this because the SSID for the 5 Ghz is the same on the router and the WAP. Roaming seems good though ... the goal was to get rid of dead spots and it is working for that purpose

The WAP and router are still on the same network, though, so why won't the Airprint printers show up when I'm connected to the WAP? Is there some kind of setting on the router or WAP that will allow Airprint to announce itself to the whole network?
Thanks,
Mary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
How is your Netgear setup? If the printers are getting their IP addresses from the FIOS router and the Netgear is also handing out IP addresses this could be the issue. The Netgear should be in bridge mode with the FIOS router handing out IP addresses. That way when your device looks at the Netgear for network access the Netgear router sends them to the FIOS router who gives them an IP address and since the printers are also getting their IP addresses from the FIOS your devices should see the printers.

Lisa

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Your point is exactly correct. When I stand near The router my device has a 192.168.1.x address, and when I roam to the Netgear the address changes to 10.0.0.x.
Unfortunately the Netgear does not seem to have a setting for bridge mode? There is a checkbox for “VLAN/bridge” but from what I’ve read, I really really don’t want a vlan. Can I be sure it won’t break anything to check this box. Many family members on different platforms depending on me not to break it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe it is a limitation with the Verizon Wi-Fi router (but I could be wrong). I have Verizon and went with the Verizon FiOS Extender, which works well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is a checkbox for “VLAN/bridge” but from what I’ve read, I really really don’t want a vlan.

Mary:

Go ahead and check that box. That should put the Netgear into bridge mode. Don't worry about the virtual lan setting. Also, Verizon should be willing to update their FIOS router to the latest. Give them a call and see if they will update you to the latest and maybe even provide an extender with no extra charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Verizon will send an extender for $10/month or $100.

You could get another router, and turn off the FiOS Wi-Fi.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could get another router, and turn off the FiOS Wi-Fi.

Not an option Bob if you also have FIOS TV like I have. Won't work with another router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not an option Bob if you also have FIOS TV like I have. Won't work with another router.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought because they are all connected through fiber optic cable, that was how everything worked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? I didn't know that. I thought because they are all connected through fiber optic cable, that was how everything worked?

Yeah, you would think so. The FIOS routers supplied by Verizon and Frontier (same routers) also send a WiFi signal to the special TV set top box. Without that signal, no TV. The Verizon routers are an all in one enclosed modem and router. If you do not use FIOS TV, then you can bridge another router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Just finished a big project.

Your Netgear is NOT setup to act as a Wireless Access Point (WAP). A wireless access point only provides a point of access to a main router. Your Netgear is a router because it is merrily handing out IP addresses to devices then sending devices to the FIOS router to find the internet. You need to MAKE it be a WAP.

This is a link to the manual for your Netgear router. It should start on page 113. You need to scroll down to the section on Using the Router as a wireless access point only. Follow the directions and it hopefully will work perfectly!

Use The Router As A Wifi Access Point Only - NETGEAR R6120 User Manual [Page 113] | ManualsLib

If you have any problems or questions post back.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This is a link to the manual for your Netgear router. It should start on page 113. You need to scroll down to the section on Using the Router as a wireless access point only. Follow the directions and it hopefully will work perfectly!

Wow... It looks like some routers have certainly advanced over the years, and especially considering that manual carries on for a total of 140 pages!!!

It doesn't seem that long ago when one was lucky if you even got a single sheet folded over as the complete connection manual. :Smirk:

Just saying... some things seem to be a little bit more involved these days when it comes to connecting things in the computer wireless world.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi everyone. Thanks for your suggestions! I did some research on my particular Netgear, and although it does not offer a bridge mode, the suggestion for "AP mode" was exactly right. I'm not sure why the setup wizard didn't offer this mode, as it's what I wanted all along, but whatever.

All devices are now getting 192.168.1.x addresses and they can see the AirPort printers from anywhere in the house.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found setup wizards rarely get it right. I always do a manual setup but I realize it can be a bit complicated. Glad you got it working!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.