Airport Extreme range and speed test! WOW!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I have the new Airport Extreme BS set up in my home. I can sit at a patio at the far end of my yard about 80' away and still get 15 bars signal strength. Everywhere in the house it is 15 bars!

My property backs onto a small park, so I thought I would take the MB out and see if I could still maintain a good connection. I ended up across the park on a neighbors deck about 300' from the BS. The signal was fluctuating between 3 and 8 bars, and the connection was still working fine. (I also detected 2 other networks sporadically.) Unreal! I'm broadcasting for a whole city block! Good thing I have WPA enabled.

In the house the Network Utility says my speed is 144 Mb. This is 22x my cable connection speed!

The Apple BS rocks! Love the way the MB just re-connects automatically to my network after I've connected to some other network away from home. No entering any connection info. Just turn it on and I'm connected.

Cleanest and sleekest base station on the market too! Worth the extra few bucks over other makes IMO Typical Apple quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
It is great to hear that it works seamlessly. My DLink can only cover up to about 15 meters' range (about 50 feet).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.