Airport Extreme dropping connection...Funny problem.

Reaction score
Hello.

I just set up my Airport Extreme. The router I was previously using caused me a lot of networking problems. The Apple solution seems to solve most issues.

However, when I'm downloading a large file, or numerous small files...I lose my internet connection after a short time. The downloads stop and time out and I can not open any websites.

When I cancel the downloads it seems to resume internet service to me.

What can I do to resolve this issue? Any suggestions?

The programs that seem to stall everything out are Unison and Safari/Firefox downloads.

I did not have this problem with my previous router (and I'm wondering if it's worth the switch back)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
62 views and no suggestions?

I guess this is a bump...

Why do downloads slow my traffic down completely??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Are you using the default channel? If so are there other wireless networks in your area?

Strike that, although always good to think about. If you connect directly to your cable/dsl/whatever modem/router/whatever they're calling it, do you have the same problem?

OP
T
Reaction score
I've changed the channel as there are wireless networks around and wireless phones etc.

It works like a charm when plugged directly into the router with a cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this happen every time you download large files or does it slowly build and then happen? If it's the later have you tried rebooting the Airport when it happens?

OP
T
Reaction score
of seems to happen instantly. Example: was doing a test. Had browser open streaming music from a website. Started downloading a demo on my xbox 360. Music stopped streaming, I couldn't open any webpages, the xbox file also stopped downloading.

As soon as I cancelled the xbox download the music started to stream again and I could browse the web.

That same situation occurs when I'm downloading from anything on my network, not just the 360.

Consequently, I plugged the 360 directly into the router and it downloaded he demo perfectly and the Internet was still fully functional.

I guess my temporary fix is to move my router and go wired. Boo urns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd up the logging to debug and see what's in the logs at that point in time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.