airport extreme and enabling 802.11n

Reaction score
I have a macbook and an imac. is the software enabling the airport extreme or the airport cards in the macs to run at 802.11n? I set up the extreme with the macbook, do I need to run the software on the imac as well?

Reaction score
Enables certain Airport Extreme cards to enable N, I believe N is a feature found only in the newier Intel two Duo chipset Macs. If you have a Intel Duo I believe it won't work - some please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 1.83Ghz iMac 2.16Ghz 24in. MacBook 2.0Ghz 20 Inch IMac 2.0 Core 2
The wireless card has to have n capability. If not, you will be running in a,b,g mode. If the card is compatible from a Core 2 Duo, the enabler allows the card to run a,b,g,n. You can then connect in n mode only with a typical link speed of 270M @ 5Khz. When you run the enabler you will get and error message that your processor is not compatible with Duo Core's. In my case, I missed the n capability by a week or so with my MacBook and did not read the new Airport specifications well enough. It was very crafty writing. I wanted to run my iMac 2.16 and MacBook 2.0 Duo Core with the n draft, but discovered the error message when installing the enabler on the MacBook.
I was slighty perturbed that I was stuck in g land with the router having to run a,b,g mode. The iMac took 20 seconds and was up and running. Sadly, when you run the router in a,b,g,n mode your g speed is degraded. happily the solution was a $ 43.00 Mac Book Pro 802.11n card. I pulled the keyboard off and installed the Airport card. I booted up, ran the Airport disk which enable he driver and rebooted. It noticed the new card on the first boot and I proceeded to install the enabler and it failed. I rembered from my Hitchhikers guide " Don't Panic". I went into the router and set it to N only. As the router rebooted, I rebooted the MacBook. After this, the radio signal quickly went full signal and was running on 802.11 a,b,g,n mode at 270M.
To me, the enabler is obviously in the driver on the new Airport cards because it still will not take it due to the processor, but I swear it's faster than being plugged into the router directly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.