Airport Express or Extreme?

Reaction score
I have an Airport Express (802.11n) and love it. I'd like to strengthen my signal in the home, and am wondering if busting buying another Airport is the way to go. Or should a just get the Extreme as we have new iPhone 6 phones that accept the ac speeds. My Comcast cable speed is ~50-60Mbps. Can I buy the Extreme and get better antenna coverage AND benefit from the 802.11ac connectivity? Or should I just stick with another Airport Express as a booster?

Reaction score
The express works fine as an extender.

I would go with the extreme. If for nothing else the ability to have a HDD connected with the higher transfer speeds.

I am sure you have done this however, if you haven't take a look at the side by side comparison.

https://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What I'm wondering is this: My Comcast cable speed is ~60Mbps (as measured by OOKLA Speed Test directly from my PC to the cable router). I run the same test on my MBP Retina and get similar results through my Airport Express Wi-Fi 802.11n. My iPhone 6 only connects to about 40Mbps at the very best, also done through the Airport (I achieve much better results the closer I am to the Airport). Will the AirPort Extreme (802.11ac) help with a stronger signal (I know there are more antennas, but that doesn't mean a stronger signal per SE) to connect and achieve 10Mbps more like my MacBook Pro Retina?

Of course I should just get the Express to "future proof" and achieve better home wifi network file transfers. But are the speed achieved through the Extreme's 802.11ac spec that much better with our iPhone 6's? Will I just get a better connection to the router but be bottlenecked at the ISP ( Comcast), so just get another Airport 802.11n ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.