Air pods pro limited functionality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
My new air pods pro connect to my Mac/Mojave, but functionality is limited. They play audio just fine, but they don't communicate back to the Mac. They also connect to my iPhone. What they don't do: no volume control, no track advance, and if I take them out of my ears they do not stop iTunes from playing (although if I then put them in the case, iTunes does pause).

My old set of air pods had none of these problems, although IIRC they did not control volume; however, three taps jumped to next track, and taking one out switched iTunes to pause.

I have to conclude that there's some incompatibility with Mojave. Advice?

Note: Why don't I just upgrade to Ventura as I have done on my other Macs? Because I have too many large and complicated spreadsheets that were designed, and run perfectly, under MS Office/Excel. I understand that Mojave is the last OS that will run MS Office. True? I've tried booting those spreadsheets with Numbers and Softmaker Free Office and the results were not encouraging: lots of format problems, lots of work and learning curve I don't have time for, so I cling to Mojave on this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I understand that Mojave is the last OS that will run MS Office. True?
No. I have an MS365 subscription and Excel version 16.74 (the latest update) works fine in Ventura. Every version of Excel in the Office365 and now MS365 subscription works with every version of macOS at the time.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
I should have noted I was using Office 2011 and I would prefer to avoid subscriptions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ah, then the answer to the Excel proble is Yes, you will lose office 2011. But, if the spreadsheets are that complex and that valuable to you, maybe the MS365 subscription is worth it? I pay <$10 /month for the subcription, which gets me licenses for five copies of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Onenote, Outlook and 1TB of online storage for each license. I share the licenses with my wife. She uses two, one for a desktop and one for her laptop. Actually, I just looked and they have a single license now for $70 /year for the same thing. MS does sell single licenses for Office 2021. I just looked and it's $149 for one licence with Word, Excel and Powerpoint, no online storage, just the three apps.

It's up to you, of course, but If you value the spreadsheets that much, it's not a huge investment either way.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I would note that the Softmaker product opens my Excel files better than Numbers and looks as if it would be less work. Maybe I should start a new thread to find out others' experience with converting Excel spreadsheets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I should have noted I was using Office 2011 and I would prefer to avoid subscriptions.

Why not get and install one of the cheap recent office versions that I keep getting emails for and as has been mentioned here several times by others that is available for a one-time price of well under $50???

Sorry, I do not have the URL address handy for the available cheap download version.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's now down to $25.00

It's hard to complain about that lower price for the MS Office suite, but that link seems to have a reduced number of supported compatible Macs than I recall being listed, but I may not have checked it over as thoroughly previously.

EDIT:
Maybe check out the Microsoft site for other information and specs and prices:

Or maybe even some other possibly better Solutions:

I actually was led to understand that Apple's recent Pages and Numbers applications actually did a fairly good job of opening older MS Office files, but the OP says differently in his experience.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I actually was led to understand that Apple's recent Pages and Numbers applications actually did a fairly good job of opening older MS Office files, but the OP says differently in his experience.
The Mac apps can open the documents, it's just that some formatting can't be copied exactly. That is usually where the issues lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac apps can open the documents, it's just that some formatting can't be copied exactly. That is usually where the issues lie.

Thanks for the info Bob, I had forgotten about that "feature" and I pretty well gave up trying to understand Apple's various methods of keeping formatting intact in their Pages application and I guess the same thing works in their Numbers application, but it seems they do suggest a workaround or solution if wants to bother trying to remember and learn it all:

I don't ever remember the same problems with AppleWorks, but I always felt it was a much better application anyway in the good old days when we could use it.

I never really had to bother about formatting and was always just happy as long as the text or graphic actually arrived close to where I wanted it and everything looked okay on screen or in print.

- Patrick
=======

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally bit the bullet, upgraded to Ventura and gave up Office.

Excel => Numbers: My reticence was not justified. I converted my spreadsheets and before long got the formatting sorted out. I'm now pleased to report I'm liking the program more every day.

Word => Pages: Simple doc's open just fine. Doc's with tables need fixes, not too bad. I’m missing Word’s kb shortcut to select a sentence, tho…

Thanks to all for the comments and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m missing Word’s kb shortcut to select a sentence, tho…

Readily fixed with a small add-on, and here are some listed just as suggestions:

Some other utilities can do the same and more, but don't have a list readily available, but SimpleKeys comes to mind:

Similar apps:
Keyboard Maestro
Hot-key tasking solution.

Typinator
Speedy and reliable text expansion solution.

One Key
Elegant solution for using the function keys.

Butler
Hot key, menu, and keyword launcher.

Spark
Hotkey shortcuts manager.

More apps ...

I hate typing and especially repetitive typing when I don't have to, besides it's hard on my Rheumatic-Arthritic afflicted hands. And of course, some good Dictation software can also be of great help depending on your surrounding noises, even with a noise-cancelling microphone.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.