Air an printing problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, iPhone4, iPod
I have a new Air running 10.7.1 , this is my first Mac.. have been a long time PC user and was very familiar with that so this is all new.
I use my iPhone as a hot spot and I am trying to work out printing issues.
I just got an HP Envy (air print) to hopefully make this easier but it doesnt seem to be working well. I was under the impression that I could print from laptop to printer with out a wireless network using Air... can anyone please advise me on this? Thank you so much, Cynanne

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, iPhone4, iPod
Thank you for a reply, I have already read that prior to posting here. I thought the whole point of air print was that one did not need to have a wireless network set up in order to print... but I now believe that I am wrong. I live in an area that i cant get any good internet service so I use my iphone as a hotspot so I dont have a wireless net work running and I thought this would be a good solution....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need a WiFi network in order to use AirPrint which is probably the reason why your HP Envy is not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Are you going into System Preferences>Print & Scan and then clicking on the "+" symbol to add the printer?
I just went through this yesterday with my new HP printer and there isn't an install disc yet so you have to do a little digging to get the Mac to "find" the printer. After you click the "+" symbol and select the printer there will be another little window or box (whatever you want to call it) that opens and at the bottom is a drop down list. Click on that and select "Air Print" and then tell it ok. The Mac will find it that way and then install the necessary drivers.

If you set the printer up wirelessly, you don't technically need a wireless router just to print. You will need a wireless router to use any of the other features on the printer such as the many apps available via its touch screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.