After I updated to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), why was I told to install Java after I

Reaction score
Help anyone!
After I updated to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), why was I told to install Java after I already installed the latest Java 8 update 25?
Thanks.

C

chas_m

Some poorly-programmed Java apps (insert joke here) look for Java 6 specifically, rather than whatever the most recent version of this. I've seen a few similar messages like this, always asking for Java 6. The solution, for me, has been to either update the app in question to the latest version, or to contact the developer to see when a Java 8-compatible version will be available, or go give up and find an alternative if there is obviously no path to an update.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m,

I see, but are there any ways to know which apps are causing the problem (namely, apps asking for Java 6)?

Thanks.

C

chas_m

Presumably you are launching the apps, either from your machine or through a web browser: so don't you know?

OP
T
Reaction score
No, I don't know. I had this message (see attachment) about Java, as soon as I started up my MacBook Pro with no apps running at all, except for "Finder". Unless, "Finder" is the problem.

C

chas_m

when you click on "more info," what happens? That's a message from your browser, by the way, which is trying to start a pre-opened page or home page that includes Java content.

What should happen is you're either taken to an Apple Support Page or Oracle's Java distribution page, where you should download and install the Jave 8 RE latest version. Once you do that, you can use the built-in Java control panel in system preferences to keep it up-to-date.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, you were right about what happened after "more info" was clicked. By clicking it, I was taken to the next screen (see attached) to install the latest Java 8 update 25. I did the install successfully. But the message asking me to update to the latest Java kept popping up as soon as I started up the computer with no apps running at all.

Java Problem 2.jpg

C

chas_m

If you're sure it has installed successfully, then you need to check your startup items to ensure that nothing is starting up automatically that requires Java, for example your Safari browser and a home page you've chosen.

You can check if the Java has in fact installed successfully by going to System Preferences and saying hello to the new Java preference pane, which will let you know what version it thinks its running.

OP
T
Reaction score
Good point. Now how do I check for my startup items?

Also, as you suggested, I checked system preference to ensure the computer is running Java 8 update 25.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> (your account) --> Login Items.

Also, on your Dock programs that you've set to launch automatically will do so very noticeably on startup.

OP
T
Reaction score
I checked "Login Items" under Users and Groups. There is one item, iTunesHelper (see attached).

Java Problem 3.jpg

C

chas_m

Then it's probably something that's launching automatically on the Dock, such as Safari. Check what icons a tiny white dot underneath them after a clean startup.

OP
T
Reaction score
So, iTunesHelper in the login items is not the problem?

After a clean startup, there are no dots under any icons (including Safari) in the Dock, except for Finder. But, the message still keeps popping up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Because it will tell us more about what is auto-starting, please download and run "etrecheck." And post the results.

M

MacInWin

Yes, you were right about what happened after "more info" was clicked. By clicking it, I was taken to the next screen (see attached) to install the latest Java 8 update 25. I did the install successfully. But the message asking me to update to the latest Java kept popping up as soon as I started up the computer with no apps running at all.
You may have gotten away with it this time, but as a general rule it is not a good idea to click on links that offer to install things. If I wanted Java (but I don't) I would not click on a link any website offered but go directly to the developer website and download it directly from there. Many, many instances of malware and malicious software installations come from clicking on links that may or may not take you to the real site.

Also, Java is shot full of security holes, so if you do want to install it, make sure you go to Safari/Preferences/General and Uncheck the "Open 'Safe'..." box. At least you may get some minor security coverage that way.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The solution, for me, has been to either update the app in question to the latest version, or to contact the developer to see when a Java 8-compatible version will be available, or go give up and find an alternative if there is obviously no path to an update.
Sound advice that warrants one small addition: Java 6 is end of life'd which means that it no longer receives security updates from Oracle. Sticking with Java 6 exclusive versions is a bad call if newer supported versions work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I hope you don't mind my jumping in here. I understood that the reason that apps ask for Java 6 is that it was the last to be able to run 32 bit apps. Maybe that isn't true, but that is what I read so installed Java 6. Any ideas on this issue? BTW muCommander is one that requests Java 6.

Reaction score
Northern Minnesota now. Chicago previously
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Wacom Cintiq 24HD touchscreen
Arrrrgh, this thread is driving me batty trying to remember. Earlier this week I was updating some app (can't remember, tghat's why I'm batty) and it wanted Java updated. It totally hit be by surprise. And this 32/64-bit issue had something to do with it.

Now if I can only remember and be of some help here!
Merry Christmas to all
- ty

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks every one for the advice on my problem. After I reinstalled Yosemite, the problem is gone. No more asking to install Java again. I guess I went the hard(er) way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.