After a Time Machine full restore, should backup normally like the last backup?

Reaction score
I do TM Backups in an external HDD USB 3.0 - MacBook Pro 15in 2016-late

After a Time Machine full restore, should backup normally like the last backup?????

And, this should be an Incremental backup?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the Time Machine is backing up to the same sparse bundle as before, it'll be an incremental backup. If it determines that a new bundle has to be created, it will first create a new full backup and then incremental after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@ashwin, if the backup drive is directly attached, it's not sparsebundle format. But as you say, if it detects that it's the same machine it will be an incremental backup. If it detects it as a new machine, it will be a full backup first, then incremental, as you said.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
@ashwin, if the backup drive is directly attached, it's not sparsebundle format. But as you say, if it detects that it's the same machine it will be an incremental backup. If it detects it as a new machine, it will be a full backup first, then incremental, as you said.
Oh, that's good to know. I only use my NAS as the backup location for my TM and know it as a sparsebundle. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TM, at first, used sparsebundle for networked drives to minimize the traffic on the network, but used full files and hard links on a direct attached drive. Now, in Monterey, the backups on local drives are snapshots. I think on NAS it's still sparsebundles, but I don't know for sure.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
I will try backup soon.
By the way is any way find/learn last backup size in GBs...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Verify your backup disk on Mac
If you back up to a network disk, Time Machine periodically verifies that your backups are in good condition. This scheduled verification happens automatically, but you can manually verify a backup at any time.

On your Mac, click the Time Machine icon in the menu bar.

Press and hold the Option key, then choose Verify Backups.

If the Time Machine icon isn’t in the menu bar, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Time Machine, then select “Show Time Machine in menu bar.”

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply!
I will try backup soon.
Not really. If there is only ONE backup on the drive, you can see the space used by it. But with two or more, it's not practical to identify the backup size of any single backup. Won't give all the technical details to bore you to death. About the only way I could imagine to keep track would be to monitor the space remaining on the backup drive from backup to backup and the difference would be an approximation of the backup size(s).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you're using Time Machine. you can open the Preferences for TM and it will state "?? of xxx GBs (or MBs) backed up."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.