After a panic run fsck -f?

C

code777

I had a panic the other night (my first one ever!) so i decided to do a

/sbin/fsck -fy

command in single user mode. I was told by a Genius this is "ill advised" but when I asked him why he could not answer me, he just answered me with a QUESTION! Ahhh.

Anyway I did it anyway and it seemed to do a "minor repair"

All seems well but is there a reason why it is ill advised to run fsck -f when my hard drive is "journaled"???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I wish i could explain this, but it has to do with the was a journal file system is defined verse the way a normal file system is defined.

Also fsck works with the how the files are layed out on the disk, where as journal file system lays out the files differently.

OP
C

code777

eek, not sure i understand, haha. but my main concern did what I did "damage" anything???

I guess i'm getting conflicting stories. On the 'net it seems like it is advised to do this even if you are journaled.....yet the Genius said otherwise but could not explain anything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the file system check goes pretty deep, if you'd damaged anything, your computer wouldn't have started up. I think this "genius" was ill advised.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think the genius was ill advised. I think he is just being cautious.

OP
C

code777

not to repeat myself but would running /sbin/fsck -fy not be needed after a kernel panic then?

remember this is the same "genius" that told me to erase w/zero my new LaCie before using. I hope this guy isn't giving bad info out!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past it was common to zero out a scsi disk, to ensure that all of the bad sectors were mapped out. I am not sure that is needed now, with the newer disk drives.

Please note that when you are using the -fy options on the fsck command. You are doing the following: The f is for force as in do the command any way. The y is used and answering any questions that fsck may ask with a yes. If you were to run the fsck command with out the -f option, it would not run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.