Afraid to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet
Dear viewer,

Surely you, along with many others, have also seen those PC versus Mac commercials. The person representing the PC is suffering from its inefficiencies, while the person representing the Mac does not. I am just a complete ''n00b'' when it comes to Macs, but these commercials make it look obvious that there is absolutly no reason to remain a PC user. Or at least, that's the imagine they are trying to convey..

Let me say that I have been using Windows for almost ten years now and I'm about to buy a new computer. Lately I've really been concidering my options and the 24 Inch Imac is one one of them.

Despite the commercials, I am absolutly terrified to switch to an unknown system. I have never used an Imac before and I'm just not sure about anything really. I have read many things about the Imac 24. Many stories that seem almost too good to be true.

But If all these stories are in fact true, then why doesn't everyone have an Imac already? Why do people prefer PC's? Surely there must be something wrong then! Does anyone have reasons why I should NOT switch to an Mac?

For instance: Are PC's not easier when it comes to changing Internal hardware such as the Hard Drive or the graphics card? You can't open the Imac just as easy as a PC. (Correct me if I'm wrong..)

Also: I've been to apple.com and I visited the configuration screen where I was able to assemble the Imac 24 inch system and.. I can't say I'm really satisfied with the Hardware they have to offer. With Videocard's such as the 8800 GTX, the 7300/7600 cards seem like a major step back.

And what about the Software? I mean.. there must be software out there that does not run on an Imac.

And come on!! No viruses? Na-ah! That's not possible. No way! :|
What is the reason that Macs don't get viruses? What other threats do Mac users have to face if not viruses?

Once again: I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Macs, so I don't know anything. Which is the reason why I ask these questions.

Thank you for reading and for helping out.

Sincerely,

Zora. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My wife used a PC for years, and then for six more months after I got my first Mac. After expressing all of the frustrations that usually accompany Windows PCs, I finally convinced her that we should get her a Mac. I was getting tired of supporting her. She's not a technical person, she uses a computer to create art and the usual internet stuff.

I parked her in front of her new Mac Mini, showed her a few things that differed between the PC and Mac, showed her where everything was, a few concepts that were unique to the Mac as opposed to her old PC. Transferred her data over, set some things up (mundane stuff, like iTunes, her pictures, etc.), stood back, and waited, ready for the flurry of questions and tutorials.

Two weeks went by with no mention of her computer. At first I thought she wasn't using it. So I ask her how things are going with the new Mac, any questions...she says "Oh things are great! It's so intuitive and better designed than Windows. I can find where everything is, get to where I need, email, everything's fine."

I think it was a couple of months before she had to ask me anything about how to do something on Mac OS, and I couldn't tell you today what it was.

Now we both have Macbooks and she happily goes on with hers doing all the things people use computer for (chatting on the net, email, web, online finance, buying stuff from Amazon.com, getting new music from iTunes) all without any assistance from me. She never wants to go back to Windows.

The same thing happened with her brother. She showed him her computer, he went out and bought a Macbook. I offered my services again if he had any questions. He asked me perhaps three things at most. A couple of months have gone by and I was visiting him over the weekend. I ask him how things are going with the Macbook (after all, we were kind of responsible for him investing US$1500, might as well make sure I wasn't responsible for sending him into some kind of hades.) He says "oh, it's great man! I've even made a few DVD's with that iMovie." I'm all "Whoa, even I don't really know how to do that, and I work with computers for a living. You mean DVDs that you can play on your entertainment center DVD player? Not just on a computer?" "Yep, it's great...takes awhile, but it's easy."

Apple: 2
Vista: 0
Windows XP: -2

So that's my experience with quasi novice years long Windows users switching to Mac. Two of them, both wins, so to speak. As for myself? I work with all kinds of computers and different operating systems. The Great Apple Experiment of 2005 I started has been an unqualified success. I may have to work with and use Windows to make a living, but for my own personal computer I'm not going back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The iMac is not really intended to be hardware upgraded, with the possible exception of the hard drive and RAM. If you want better graphics, look at the Mac Pro line, you can upgrade almost everything in those yourself, including the processor. My wife has a 20 inch iMac and the graphics are fine for what she does with it, so it's not that big of a deal.

There is lots of non-Mac software out there, but how many CD burner Apps do you really need to choose from. A walk through the aisle at a PC store reveals 25 or 30. Which ones are good? Who knows?. There are 2 or 3 good ones for the Mac, and they all work just fine. Too much choice is not always a good thing. 90% of the PC using world just used whatever came with their machine anyway. Games are lacking on the Mac, although they are out there. The development of them is not where near the PC side, but I have a PS2 and I'm happy. That being said, with Bootcamp or Parells, you can run Windows on any Intel based Mac pretty darn well, and it's only getting better.

Viruses? Spyware? Nope, there are none. No one has written any to target OSX, so it's not a big deal. Could one be written? Sure, but it hasn't happened yet and likely won't anytime soon. I have not a run a virus App in years, and the only reason I would is to catch the nasties that I might pass on (but not be hurt by) via e-mail. Other threats? Well, someone could break into my house and steal my Mac, but that's true for anything I own as well.

Why doesn't everyone have a Mac? For the reasons you listed. Many are afraid, many don't know and many don't care. You go with what you know. Look at it this way, 95% of PC users have or will never use a Mac. 95% of all Mac users use a PC on a daily basis, yet they still choose to use the Mac as well.

OSX and Windows are very much alike. There is a learning curve and it seems to be mostly small things that get people when they start out on a Mac. It's hard to unlearn years of Windows ways of doing things, but it's not Rocket Science by any means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20' iMac and 15' Macbook Pro 2.33GHz/2GB Ram/Superdrive/256MB ATI X1600
Don't be Afraid!

Hey Zora you seem very confused on what to do. So from someone who was just in your shoes about 3 months ago I hope my insight can bring you to a better decision.

First off when your configuring you iMac they may not have to most top of the line components as far as video cards are concerned, but it's not really designed around video games. It can, and will play most games so their no worry as far as that. Now it won't play these games with everything turned up, but it will get you buy. If your looking to do nothing but play games then go buy an Alienware, or Dell XPS.

As far as software Macs use to be hit hard in this area but with the introduction of Intel chips and BootCamp you can run any program if not in OS X then in Windows. You really have 2 computers when you have Windows dual booted on your system.

Viruses, this seemed to question you alot too. Even though most of all the commercials and things you read are saying "Macs don't have viruses" it's kind of true to some extent. Macs aren't plagued with the 300,000 or more viruses that Windows seems to get but that's only because as you said in your post "why doesn't everyone have an Imac already?" You just answered your own question about viruses. Most of the malicous hackers aren't designing viruses around OSX. They pick the operating system that most people have and that's Windows.

I bought an iMac 20' and I can tell you that it's one of the most beautiful and elegant machines i've ever bought. OSX will make you hate windows everything you do in it, is super easy and very efficent. You will love OSX, the effects and way of presenting you the information is outstanding.

Another thing that should influence you is the support that you get from Applecare. The first time i had my iMac I loaded everything up and put all my programs I wanted on it and It was running beautifully, I then decided to try that bootcamp up and install Windows XP just to play games if I wanted to. Well, once i started to install Windows something went wrong and I messed up the hard drive somehow. Anyway, I called Applecare and they took care of it and set me up with appointment @ my local store in Dallas. I drove their they double checked the system 10 mins later I was on the road home with a brand new system. Their support is wonderful and they actually know what their talking about.

Zora this is only a taste of what Mac is about, I can promise you it was the smartest thing I have done. It's a wonderful operating system and a beautiful peice of machinary. I hope this can help you in your decision. If you have any more questions don't fret just ask! Good LUCK!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Dear viewer,

Surely you, along with many others, have also seen those PC versus Mac commercials. The person representing the PC is suffering from its inefficiencies, while the person representing the Mac does not. I am just a complete ''n00b'' when it comes to Macs, but these commercials make it look obvious that there is absolutly no reason to remain a PC user. Or at least, that's the imagine they are trying to convey..

Well, if it seems too good to be true . . .

The ads are kinda dumb, but despite that, there's no reason not to become a Mac user.

Let me say that I have been using Windows for almost ten years now and I'm about to buy a new computer. Lately I've really been concidering my options and the 24 Inch Imac is one one of them.

Despite the commercials, I am absolutly terrified to switch to an unknown system. I have never used an Imac before and I'm just not sure about anything really. I have read many things about the Imac 24. Many stories that seem almost too good to be true.

There is a learning curve, for sure. You're as much unlearning Windows as learning OSX, but if you're competent with Windows, you'll get the hang of it easily enough. I used Windows for 10 years before I got a Mac (I still use it), there were things that drove me nuts for a while, but I'm pretty much at peace with it now. Don't worry, you'll be fine

But If all these stories are in fact true, then why doesn't everyone have an Imac already? Why do people prefer PC's? Surely there must be something wrong then! Does anyone have reasons why I should NOT switch to an Mac?

It has traditionally been about price. PCs tend to be lower spec than Macs - if they just have to grind out documents and spreadsheets in an office, you don't need much. Macs and equivalent PCs aren't so much different in price, but Apple don't make very low end cheap boxes like PC manufacturers do. Consequently Windows took a vast lead. When you have to buy 2,000 machines, you tend to look at price very carefully. People who used Windows in the office bought Windows to use at home.

For instance: Are PC's not easier when it comes to changing Internal hardware such as the Hard Drive or the graphics card? You can't open the Imac just as easy as a PC. (Correct me if I'm wrong..)

Not really - you can get at most of the components on a Mac that you need to. They're really very well designed and engineered. For sure things are tucked away more than they are on a PC, but unless you're planning to start resoldering resistors on the motherbaord, there's nothing you can't get at.

Also: I've been to apple.com and I visited the configuration screen where I was able to assemble the Imac 24 inch system and.. I can't say I'm really satisfied with the Hardware they have to offer. With Videocard's such as the 8800 GTX, the 7300/7600 cards seem like a major step back.

Could be. If your priority is a top of the line graphics card, and the Mac doesn't have one, might be a problem

And what about the Software? I mean.. there must be software out there that does not run on an Imac.

All new Macs have Intel chips now. They will run just about any Windows software. It actually the reverse - Mac software won't run on Windows.

And come on!! No viruses? Na-ah! That's not possible. No way! :|
What is the reason that Macs don't get viruses? What other threats do Mac users have to face if not viruses?

So far, none. OSX is based on a completely different architecture to Windows. It is based around a Unix type OS, which is notoriously difficult to break into. That's not to say you can't get 'hacked', where a person gets access to your machine, but so far no viruses.

Once again: I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Macs, so I don't know anything. Which is the reason why I ask these questions.

Glad to help. Do it - you'll have a few doubts for a week or two as you come to terms with OSX, then you'll never look back.

Thank you for reading and for helping out.

Sincerely,

Zora. O:)

See bold above.

[edit] Oh - just a point - if you run Windows on the Mac, it's just as liable to get a virus as any other Windows machine. You'll need Antivirus for the Windows partition, but that won't affect OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Zora,

Welcome to the Forums.

I am a recent switcher myself and I couldn't be happier. I was worried at first but let me tell ya, Mac OSX is so awesome and easy to use it will blow ur mind away and u r gonna enjoy it Guaranteed.

I cant really add much to what the fine folks mentioned above they just hit it right on the spot all of them are true and again I have been using Windows for over 12 yrs and I really don't miss a thing from it.

MACS ROCK through and through :D :D

Reaction score
Zora,

Welcome to the Forums.

I am a recent switcher myself and I couldn't be happier. I was worried at first but let me tell ya, Mac OSX is so awesome and easy to use it will blow ur mind away and u r gonna enjoy it Guaranteed.

I cant really add much to what the fine folks mentioned above they just hit it right on the spot all of them are true and again I have been using Windows for over 12 yrs and I really don't miss a thing from it.

MACS ROCK through and through :D :D

Completely agree. Make the switch though. I did and I'm loving it. :D

OP
Zora
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet
Alright, you people have managed to convince me to some point.

However, one thing still bothers me to no end. The graphics card.
I am a art student so I really need a computer which is capable of handling
programs such as ''Maya'' or ''Max3D''. I'm just not sure if the Geforce 7300/7600 is going to do the job. What do you guys think?

Is there a possibility to order an Imac 24 with let's say.. a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX card?

I also don't think that the 7300/7600 cards support DirectX 10. Look, gaming isn't everything, but I'd like to have options, you know? I don't like the idea that I'll eventually end up with something low-end which isn't replaceable.

Reaction score
My advice is to check out Youtube! I typed in "apple mac" and "macbook" and found some reviews from normal computer users, teenagers, businessmen, designers, artists. I even watched the videos from the Apple conferences and found them amazingly interesting, and it was a fantastic way to really get my teeth into Mac OS X and see what the big deal was.

And nothing beats heading on down to an Apple store and telling a Genius you'd like to have a play on a Mac please. When I went, they are SO nice and helpful and gladly talked me through a lot of the basics.

I find Macs SO friendly and easy to use, without being simplistic. Don't be afraid!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The GeForce 7600GT is a cracking card and you can choose to upgrade it to 256Mb. I don't know why not 512Mb since the GeForce 6800 in my PC has that much memory, but there you go.

Whilst the iMac is a top machine, the Mac Pro is designed for professional applications that tax the system, such as Maya and Final Cut. It is upgradable like a PC. It's a bit pricey, but have you had a look?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I looked up Maya's system requirements and found a page with hardware qualifications. There is only one problem you will face with the 7300/7600 on the iMac:

Model: Nvidia 7300 GT/7600 GT
OS X Version: 10.4.8

Limitations and Solutions

Limitation: Shadows do not render properly in the Hardware Renderer or the High Quality Viewport.
Solution: None

Limitation: CV's do not show up on NURBS objects
Solution: None

So if that seriously affects you, then you may have a bit of a problem and may have to go with the Mac Pro for its X1900XT (which has no limitations). If not, then you should feel totally confident purchasing an iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
At the end of the day Zora, you will have to make up your own mind. Go to a PC forum and they will tell you Mac's are crap, go to a Mac forum and they will tell you PC's are crap.
I am on my first Mac, and so far, couldn't be happier. That not to say that I wouldn't mind Office for Mac and a couple of other programs being more like the PC ones.
I can tell you that the quality of Mac's, and I suspect the engineering forthought that goes into them, IS superior to any PC I have ever had. I have a Mac Book Pro at home, use a Mac Pro with everything (including great graphics card, multiple drives, buckets of ram, and 2 HD cinema displays) at work, and tried an old eMac before I switched. still have to use regular PC's at work as well, but the Mac's seem just soooooo much nicer. So don't be afraid.....be like Nike....Just Do It.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I can't really add much to this whole debate. I just know that I swithced for no other reason than I wanted to try a Mac and I had the money at the time.

That said I have loved it beacause it forced me to learn a new way to work which I found refreashing. I don't game much so A state of the art graphic card isn't a must have for me. I just purchased the best one I could choose from.

I was also very sceptical about the virus thing. However 8 months with no problems so far.

In the end it's up to you....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Heh, the worst part is, if you require a better video card and still want one, you're going to have to wait for a hardware update.

OS X doesn't support direct X at all if I remember correctly. You have to have a full copy of windows and install it to have an OS that supports Direct X at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I hate to say it, but before you make a choice you may regret I suggest you ask on a more specialist forum

I like CGTalk

Computers are expensive things, you want to be as sure as possible

There are many industry professionals on CGTalk and with any luck you should get some great advice!

Good luck

OP
Zora
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet
I hate to say it, but before you make a choice you may regret I suggest you ask on a more specialist forum

I like CGTalk

Computers are expensive things, you want to be as sure as possible

There are many industry professionals on CGTalk and with any luck you should get some great advice!

Good luck

So, what are you implying? That I should concider not buying a Mac, because I might end up regretting it? What reasons could cause that? :| Could you give a couple of examples? Because you are absolutly right. Computers are expensive and I definitly do not want to end up with buyers remorse. (I decided to buy a Mac Pro, but all I need is some convincing..)

For instance.. I heared that mac's are horrible when it comes to videogames.
Look, games arn't everything but.. does this mean I can't play games on it? At all? That doesn't sound right for a computer I'm about to pay € 3000,- for, you know? Anyone care to clarify this? :Sleeping:

M

Matteh117

You are partly right there. A huge majority of games aren't Mac compatible, but there are some top games out there that are (news that the new Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is also being made for Macs came out the other day - great example).

You can run Parallels, etc to run XP or Vista if you really wanted the games, but there is also CrossOver Mac which lets you run some Windows applications and games on a Mac but you need to look at their list first.

I highly doubt you will regret buying a Mac (esp a Mac Pro). You will get it out of the box and think "Whoa.." before you even turn it on. ;)

Hope this helps..

M

MacHeadCase

I think you seriously need to ask yourself why you would switch. Is it because you want to learn a new OS? Is it the cool factor? Is it because you're fed up with malware? And if people that you don't know need to convince you to switch, to me it makes simply no sense: you are either ready to make a move (and simply need some info to help clarify certain things) or you're not going to get a Mac.

Games on the Mac have been discussed plenty of times in M-F but I'll say this: it's not because of the Mac's inability to handle them, it's because of financial decisions. Game companies release them first for gaming consoles and WinBox then, if the titles are successful, it will trickle down to the Mac, eventually. To know what's up in Mac games, check here.

I think you asked earlier about CAD/3D? Then check this website out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
So, what are you implying? That I should concider not buying a Mac, because I might end up regretting it? What reasons could cause that? :| Could you give a couple of examples? Because you are absolutly right. Computers are expensive and I definitly do not want to end up with buyers remorse. (I decided to buy a Mac Pro, but all I need is some convincing..)

For instance.. I heared that mac's are horrible when it comes to videogames.
Look, games arn't everything but.. does this mean I can't play games on it? At all? That doesn't sound right for a computer I'm about to pay € 3000,- for, you know? Anyone care to clarify this? :Sleeping:

If I understand the problem, it seems to me your doubt is the video capability, and the availability of games.

Regarding the video - if you're going for an Imac, rather than the 'big box' Mac pro, you might have an issue. You kind of have to stick with what's available, and if it doesn't suit you, then the Mac might not be for you.

As far as games go - same thing. There's no pretending that the market is awash with top quality Mac games, so if that's a priority then same applies, maybe a Mac doesn't fly.

Personally I've never really thought of either the mac or the PC as primarily games machines - I have a Playstation for that, so I don't worry.

But nobody wants you to buy something you'll be unhappy with - in every other respect the Mac will do what you want, and you'll be very pleased with it. Few people here would try to persuade you to ignore what for you may be serious limitations though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.