Advice on installing VMware on iMac and what OS to install to view live security feed

Reaction score
I have an iMac and cannot view my live security video feed because the system we're using requires active x controls. At this time, I'm stuck with the system I have so now I'm trying to come up with a solution.

I'm thinking of using Vmware Fusion 3 and create a virtual machine on the Mac. Is there a version of windows I can download that will work with this software and allow me to view the feed? I plan on downloading a trail version of Vmware Fusion 3 and if it works, pay for it and keep it. However, I don't want to buy a Windows operating system if I can avoid it...is there an older version I can download for free?

I'm a newbie to virtual machines..and am learning as I go...but basically I want to create one on my mac and view this feed, but at the same time be able to work on the mac.

After all I've read I'm still not sure if I go through all of this I can even view the feed because of these dang active x controls....

I have an OS disk that came with my Dell XPS but get the feeling it wouldn't work if I try to install it (and/or that it would be illegal to try).

Any advice, I'm all ears!!

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can run Internet Exploiter under CrossOver. In fact, it comes out of the box with an automated installer for IE.

There is also the free IE4OSX, but it's an old version and in my experience can be hit or miss as to what sites it works with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
To answer one of your other questions, no, there is no version of Windows that can be legally downloaded for free.

C

chas_m

You can run Internet Exploiter under CrossOver. In fact, it comes out of the box with an automated installer for IE.

There is also the free IE4OSX, but it's an old version and in my experience can be hit or miss as to what sites it works with.

The old, Mac-native versions of Internet Exploder never had Active X support, so that's a non-starter anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The old, Mac-native versions of Internet Exploder never had Active X support, so that's a non-starter anyway.

IE4OSX is actually a prepackaged WINE app. It's actually the Windows version of IE6, but since IE6 is mostly being run off by the wayside these days, it's senseless to bother with it IMO.

EDIT: I was going to link to it, but it seems that the author has actually pulled it. Probably a good thing as the less IE6 clients are out in the world, the better ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
I did try Crossover...I was able to bring up the camera feed, but it was so distorted I couldn't make out anything at all...actually the screen just displayed a bunch of colors moving around the screen....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.