Advice on cleaning MacBook Pro + Removing Adware

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently running macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and I have some malware/adware (r.srvtrck) that has installed itself on Google Chrome and I also need to clean up some disk space.

When searching for a way to remove the malware I found tried an application called CleanMyMac X and gave it a try. It says it couldn't find any malware. So I am 100% sure the adware is there because when I go to websites I see the redirects in realtime.

My other issue is I'm running low on disk space and wasn't sure if it is recommended to use "cleanup" type programs to do this or not. I've uninstalled the apps that I don't use except the system apps like Chess and iMovie...can these be removed?

So I'm wondering if an application is the best way to go or do I need to clean up manually? I'm not super comfortable deleting things on a Mac but I'm sure if given some instruction I can do it.

I just need to clean it up as it's slowing down a bit and Photoshop is giving me an error about scratch disk space and the malware is annoying.

So if there is an app that is recommended can you give me the name and if I should do all of this manually can you point me to some proper instruction on how/what to do?

Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, delete CleanMyMac X.

Next, grab a copy of Malwarebytes and DetectX and run those. Next, within Chrome, delete any extension you didn't install yourself.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you!

Is CleanMyMac X a reputable program? I am using the trial version and it seems to want me to upgrade for the full features...or will these 2 apps do everything it does?

Thanks
W

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
CleanMyMac is crap IMHO, do not upgrade or do anything with it. Do a search on these forums for all the posts about it. The other two apps are free and will do what needs to be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.