Advice for nebie on replacing sound card mac pro?

Reaction score
As noted in previous post, i broke a piece off my audio jack leaving it in rear socket ...after trying some suggesting i further caused the piece to fall somewhere and its not working..i have not took the fan out (yet)..however by falling out it caused the front socket to work...tsome questions since very little..any difference in front/back audio sockets? can i get surround sound on my 2007 xenon mac pro? can i upgrade the card, and how much and where from? thats it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you were given some very good possible removal suggestions on how to remove that broken audio jack on your Mac Pro from the other thread.

Some of the more straight forward ideas you never tried (or at least you didn't mention trying them)...and now it seems you have bigger problems.

Many people on this forum would (jokingly) give their right arm to own a Mac Pro...and you seem to be going from bad to worse trying to remove this broken audio jack...and potentially making a mess of your Mac Pro.

It's of course your computer & you can do what you want...but I wish you would have tried some of the less invasive removal ideas first!

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
actually i first tried tweezers, but it broken at the very tip and there was nothing to hold onto..then i tried the straw and skewer with glue..thats when it happened..there were good suggestions, and i appreciate them..at least have sound now...it seems to the same quality on the front jack, which is fine for now..but i would like to know what my options are..especially regarding surround sound, and possible other options please thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You broke the jack off you say?

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes I tripped over the cord going into the rear audio jack and snapped off, leaving a tiny nub, and the front jack wouldnt work with the piece in it...which I tried extracting with tweezers but couldnt get a grip..then i tried a straw around the piece and crazy glued a wooden skewer, couldnt get it out and ended up somehow pushing it into the computer somewhere..but it did free up the front jack...I am asking what the options .especially regarding surround sound, and possible other options if replacing sound card(if possible) please thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
actually i first tried tweezers, but it broken at the very tip and there was nothing to hold onto..then i tried the straw and skewer with glue..thats when it happened..there were good suggestions, and i appreciate them..at least have sound now...it seems to the same quality on the front jack, which is fine for now..but i would like to know what my options are..especially regarding surround sound, and possible other options please thanks

Ok...thanks for the info!:) I don't remember seeing in the other thread that you tried all of those ideas...and if you don't tell us...we don't know.

I can definitely identify with the broken off audio jack problem you have. I purchased a used TV a few months ago...and the previous owner broke off one of the RCA jack tips in one of the RCA jacks on the TV.

I'm guessing it was an RCA plug from a video gaming system...that someone either yanked out too hard or tripped over!:eek:

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
I havent got much luck on the apple forum...no replies to same question...:{ at least i have sound, but really need to clarify some things...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.