Ads suddenly appear and fill my screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nube-MacPro Retina 13" i5-2.6GHz OS 10.10.3,
Yesterday & again today my screen suddenly filled with about 50-60 one inch square ads - all the same. It had a persons name on all and one is highlighted and bounced out from the rest. On both occasions I was connected to the internet using my email. Safari was running. I have an early/mid 2013 MacBook Pro 13" running 10.9.5 OS. Where do I start to look for the software responsible for this? I'm not running any anti virus or anti malware. I guess I should by...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why do ads suddenly appear
Everytime
You are near

Just like me
You long to be
Advert free

La la la la la la...

Seriously, there are some good ad blockers. I just can't remember the exact name of one right now. In the moment, you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I use Adblock Plus and never been troubled with Ads. Give it a try. Open Safari preferences then Plugins and do a search and install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. AdblockPlus.

2. AdwareMedic.

3. Ghostery.

Reaction score
Why do ads suddenly appear
Everytime
You are near

Just like me
You long to be
Advert free

La la la la la la...

Seriously, there are some good ad blockers. I just can't remember the exact name of one right now. In the moment, you know.

Too much! :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adware Medic found nothing. I can now tell you that with the wifi turned off (and no cable hooked up), Safri not running it has occurred again. I took a photo of the screen but how do I post it as I cannot access my online site at present. Guess I'll try some of the other suggested programs....?
Cradom - I sang it five times but nothing happened. Should I have turned on the computer?. Hmm, your in Texas & I'm in Newfoundland (that's pronounced Newfun-LAND not nufoundlund) !!! Must have something to do with it.

Reaction score
If it's happening with no browser running something you installed had a second payload.
Been to Softonic or Download.com lately? Can you run Activity Monitor and see what's running?
And I don't sing worth a **** either.

Reaction score
To post pics:
Click this:
Scroll down and click the Manage Attachments button. Click the Browse button.
Click Upload. Close that window. Click Submit.

Ads suddenly appear and fill my screen - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services 20.png

Mac Forums - Reply to Topic 2014-11-02 15-36-39.png

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Cradem.. I have defiantly only downloaded from reliable sources and certainly nothing from a questionable site! XP was bad enough. I posted this in the Newbees blog because I do not know a lot about the Mac yet and you tell be to go to Activity Monitor! But where is it? It took me a while to find it in finder\applications\utilities and then there is a pile of stuff in here - how do I locate one process that is not running? I will see the add maybe once or twice a day and I have no idea of the file name.... Help!!!

Reaction score
Activity Monitor:
Make the window as big as you can.
File menu - Print -PDF button, Save as PDF.
Upload PDF as pic here or (better) host it somewhere as a file and post the link.

You say Safari wasn't running. Stupid question: Do you click the red button to "quit" it or do you actually command-q or quit from menu?
If red button, it's still running.
I've never heard of this particular problem...lots of little windows. Must be some new malware.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know abut the red button not turning processes off and Safari was not running neither was mail. I shut them down also turned wifi off. The either net cable was not connected either because I was trying to isolate the infection. I'm reluctant to posting the running processes in such a public venue. Can I email it to you somehow through the site to your private email?

Reaction score
I'm reluctant to posting the running processes in such a public venue.
Why, you work for the gubmint? :)
Anyway, if it's doing it with wifi off and ethernet unplugged then I would make a good backup of your data.
Format and reinstall the system. Then restore your data.
If Adwaremedic cant kill it no telling what it is.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't format & reinstall as I don't have anything to do an install from! Now that you mention this I guess I should have made a reinstall on an external drive. Trouble was I was way too concerned about learning about the Mac to think about a reinstall... Shame on me. I can access the cd/dvd drive (as well as the C drive) in the old in the old computer using the ethernet cable. But I do not have any program discs. I presume I cannot make it from the exhausting computer as 9 chances out of 10 the malware/whatever would stay with it. WoW!!!!

M

MacInWin

You should have a recovery partition from which you can boot and reinstall. Apple started that when they went away from install disks. To boot from it hold down CMD and R while booting.

So make the backup of your files, then reboot CMD-R and reinstall the OS. That will reinstall Safari without any add ons or extensions, which should be clean. Then you can restore your files and be off an running. One note, if you do this an run and Microsoft products (Office, etc) you should deactivate and uninstall that before you reinstall the OS because of the way MS registers products. Ditto for Photoshop and other Adobe products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Maybe it's an email problem and not Safari? Either way, since you say you're new to Mac, I'd head to the nearest Apple Store. If your Mac is less than a year old it's still under warrantee and they will help for free. If not, it's still a minimal charge, considering the aggravation!

Reaction score
Not saying they cant help but I really doubt a malware problem is covered by warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd suggest using and checking Console (Utilities folder) right after the strange happenings and it should at least give some indication of what might be causing such behaviour.

It may appear like some strange geek language - it is ;) , but it can usually give a hint of something that makes sense.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ad consists of 50 or more one inch square ads all the same and they completely cover the screen. The dock does not show when I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, therefore I cannot "get at" anything unless I click the lower right corner which says "exit". Then its gone. I'm not familiar enough with iPhoto to get the photo I took down to a size that is acceptable to the site but I will spend some time at it so I can upload the image. It's title is "BBC Audio" and I have noticed that after getting rid of the ad - iTunes shows up in the dock. But I did NOT start it. That's the only clue I have so far... I'm now getting screen savers that I have never seen before - I'm sure it's the same as the ad. More later...

Last edited:
Reaction score
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
No, seriously, I think it's time to back up and erase and reinstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.