Admin Users are now Standard ...

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
2017 MacBook Pro 13" Touch ID
Mac OS 10.13.3

Hi All:
Yesterday, Friday, April 13, 2018, I purchased a new MacBook Pro. I created a User Account with myself as Administrator (no one else will be a User).

I fired it up today and found I had been demoted to Standard. I surfed the web and found explanations, mostly a glitch that OS 10.13.3 will do that. Looking at work-arounds and fixes, I found none worked.

I don't mind wiping the SSD and starting fresh, when I did a Recovery Boot, The option to Re-install had a step to put in the password for the volume? I don't have a clue as to what it is. The techie dept at the store I purchased it from (Small Dog Electronics) is off today and tomorrow.

Suggestions?

BG

Oh why didn't I just get a new iPad to replace mine. ::quiet growl at myself::

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Possibly the password is a null? Did you try that? (Just press enter.) Also, updating to macOS 10.13.4 will likely get rid of the glitch you ran into. Otherwise, you'll need to wait until Monday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The option to Re-install had a step to put in the password for the volume? I don't have a clue as to what it is.

Did you try the admin username password you would have used when you created the User Account with [yoursef] as Administrator???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly the password is a null? Did you try that?

Or "apple" or "password" are also often used by quite a few Apple techs.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16", MacMini M1, iMac M1 24", iPhone 13 Pro Max
I seem to recall when I set up a new MacBook (a few years ago certainly) and didn't set up a Password, it defaulted to using my Apple ID password. Worth a try?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think, Brooklynguy, I'd go along with Admin chscag's suggestion in post #2 and try to update to the latest version.

I was always under the impression that it was impossible to run an OS on a Mac without at least one Admin User. If I'm right then you quite possibly won't be able to update.

In which case, it's back to the store. If it were me, I wouldn't muck around with erase/reinstall just in case the retailer challenges you re their responsibility.

I'm sure you had a very good reason for not doing so, but buying a brand new device direct from Apple has its advantages. They may have been able to sort this out by now over the phone.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possibly the password is a null? Did you try that? (Just press enter.) Also, updating to macOS 10.13.4 will likely get rid of the glitch you ran into. Otherwise, you'll need to wait until Monday.

I think, Brooklynguy, I'd go along with Admin chscag's suggestion in post #2 and try to update to the latest version.
No update ain't gonna happen without no admin user and current working password.

I was always under the impression that it was impossible to run an OS on a Mac without at least one Admin User. If I'm right then you quite possibly won't be able to update.
You are correct Ian. Scratch my comment above if you like now.

Anyway, Monday is tomorrow and maybe the store is open and the tech's at work. So just go and enjoy the rest of today. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
What I ended up doing was racing everything under this including the OS. I was able to go back to the store today, Tuesday, and talk to the techies again and I ended up taking their advice.

Here is the fix if anybody should need it:

1. Recovery Boot … BOOT and hold APPLE KEY + R
2. MAC OS UTILITY … Select DISK UTULITY
3. Select MACINTOSH HD and click ERASE button
4. Return to MAC OS UTILITY window, select REINSTALL MAC OS
When prompted, enter your WiFi network, and other prompts then Mac OS will load.

BG

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erratum …thanks to auto-correct spelling that changed “erasing” with “racing”. I'll be turning that off!

BG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the fix if anybody should need it:

That still leaves me and maybe some others as to why that was even needed right after purchasing a new MacBook Pro????

Anyway, glad to read you got it fixed and working, even if a bit bizarre.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.