Admin account changed to standard - help!

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 13.09.08.png

Hi everyone,

I've managed to change my account from administrator to standard and when I click on the lock to change my setting it asks me for an admin user and password and when I try and put my standard account details in, it doesn't accept it.

Not sure what to do. I've tried putting it in command and s when rebooting and trying the /sbinmount -uw/ then rm/ var/dp/ . AppleSetupDone but it says it doesn't recognise the AppleSetupDone directory.

Help would be massively appreciated as I can't load any new files or make any changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Please provide the specs of your Mac?

Model, OS & year?

Make sure you have a current backup of all the data you do not want to lose. You may have to re-install the OS version you currently have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021iMac M1Ventura;2019 iMac 21.5 Ventura;2017MB 12"Mojave, 2iPhone12, AW2 + AW6
Hello micromart,

The same thing happened to me, and I don't think I - or you - did it, I think it was a bug in an upgrade.
I found a fix that works. Here you go:

1. Reboot computer, at restart immediately hold Cmd + S keys down together until white text on black screen appear.

2. at prompt, type : " /sbin/mount -uw / "(w/o the quote marks) and hit return

3. at prompt, type : " rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone " ( be sure to leave spaces as stipulated)

4. reboot

5. Set up the computer - as if it were the first time. At the "create a computer account" screen, create a temporary main user account using a new Full Name and Account Name, different from those of your original account. Also use a different password. Remember that password!

6. log in under that new account. In system preferences, change the status of your original user account from "standard" to "administrator."

7. Log out of the temporary administrator account and into your original (normal) account.

8. Delete temporary administrator account (if you want to).

I gather I am lucky in that I did not enable FileVault when I originally set up the computer. If FileVault is enabled, one can apparently recover administrator privileges but the procedure is more complicated.

Good luck!

Ann

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ann

Thanks for your post and all its detail.

Isn't what you posted the same as in the video tutorials? Or maybe there are subtle differences. The main point is whether it solves micromart's difficulty.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for your post and all its detail.

I wonder why it's even happening in the first place???

It seems to be fairly common lately and with the latest macOS it seems. Hmmm…??? :Not-Amused:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It seems to be fairly common lately and with the latest macOS it seems. Hmmm…???

Speculation again, Patrick? Sounds more like user error to me. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021iMac M1Ventura;2019 iMac 21.5 Ventura;2017MB 12"Mojave, 2iPhone12, AW2 + AW6
But why would so many users make the same error, all of a sudden? I've been using Apple products for years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.
I don't even know what kind of error I would have to make to make this happen!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian,

Truth be told, I was in a hurry and did not look at the video tutorials before posting...

In general I am impatient with video tutorials :).
so let's see if it works for micro mart.
Anyway I was so pleased with my own solution that I wanted to share it asap.

Ann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.