Adjust playback volume of iTunes songs

Reaction score
I have an audio mix cd that has three tracks that play back at a lower volume than all the others. Same thing occurs if I import the cd into my iTunes library. I can adjust the volume on the offending tracks using CMD-i >Options, selecting the Vocal Equalizer and pegging the Volume Adjusment at 100%. Offending tracks play with good volume in iTunes and when synced to my iPhone 5. However, If I burn that playlist to CD, I get the same low volume on the same three tracks on the newly burned CD. Is there an way to adjust the playback volume of selected songs in iTunes and have the adjusted volume levels carried through to a burn cd? iTunes ver 11.4, MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid/Late 2007, 2..4/2.2GHz) OSX 106.8

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think that change is preserved even if you burn the CD from within iTunes. There are several audio editing apps that could do the job for you though. This video shows two ways to do it in the free audio editor Audacity. I recommend the second method which uses the effects menu.

You can either play with the settings till you get a level you like or loak a file which has an appropriate volume and seeing how much of the vertical height of the window is filled. The load a problem file and experiment with the settings till you fill a similar portion of the edit window. Don't forget to save the file when done.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Try using Sound Check when burning the CD. I haven't needed the feature myself but it explains why you get a different effect listening on your computer versus a burned CD:

iTunes: About Sound Check - Apple Support

You can turn it on in the window with the settings for burning your CD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea. I didn't even think of that since I don't remember ever using that feature. If it works its certainly easier than the fix I suggested.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Burned a CD yesterday so it was fresh in mind :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.