Address book contact files

Reaction score
Hey

Does anyone know where the contacts are stored for the mac address book, Im trying to pull my address book of a drive which has been formated with recovery software and im not sure what files to look for.

Reaction score
There's an addressbook.data file in the AddressBook folder inside the Applications Support folder in the user's library folder.

You can open the file with TextEdit and run a search for names you know should be in the address book.

But you may need more than that one file. Quit AddressBook and drag the data file to the desktop. Start AddressBook and see if the names are still in it. If not, add a unique name, like Rumplestiltskin, then open the new data file and run a search for Rumple.

Quit AddressBook and put the old data file back and start AddressBook again. See if the names are back.

Reaction score
Sorry. Dunno. I haven't used Apple's Mail since my last system install and don't have any files I can open to check.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.