Adding RAM to my ageing imac

Reaction score
Hi. I want to run lots of Adobe graphics software plus the latest Mac OS. My computer is getting slower, the more I upgrade. Can I lengthen its life and keep upgrading by adding RAM? I have an Imac 7,1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo with 1GB of memory. Any advice welcome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If that is the Late 2007 iMac like I have, you can go with 6GB RAM especially if you purchase it from OWC. Apple says 4GB but it will for sure take OWC's 6GB Kit.

Going from 1GB to 6 will make a large difference.

Which version of OSX are you running?

Reaction score
Maxing out the RAM will definitely improve performance with graphics. Depends a lot though whether you're doing photos/DTP or video. With video, a CPU upgrade will be needed to see a real gain.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi dTravis7 - thanks for your reply. Not sure if its late 2007 imac. I can try and check on the Apple website to see if it is. My OSX is 10.6.8. If it is a late 2007 mac, I will go ahead and get the extra RAM as you suggest.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi dTravisR. Thanks for recommending OWC. However, I am in the UK, so I am not sure if posting from the US is cost-effective.

Reaction score
Yeah, go for it then and use the machine as long as you can. By the time you're desperate to upgrade, there'll hopefully be something faster and newer on the market.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 7.1 is the same iMac I own so yes, you can go 6GB.

Since you are in the UK, Try Crucial. That should be available there. I will find you the specs of the sticks and get back to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply. I have already ordered the RAM from Mr. Memory. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.