adding external monitor to the imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
can an external monitor be added to the imac? or would it be easier to get a mac mini and buy a larger screen? I like my imac but I need a bigger screen due to vision issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, you can add a second display connected to your Thunderbolt port.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can indeed connect an external monitor to the iMac. I have a late 2015 model with 16 GB of ram, and I have an external monitor attached to it. Even when I had * GB of ram, I didn't have issues. I'm using a 24-inch monitor, but I think the system could easily drive a larger one. I don't have enough room on the desk for anything much larger than that.

You should be able to have one resolution level set on one monitor and a different resolution set for the iMac. My second monitor is an LG Ultrawide, and it works well, but I wish I had gotten one with the same aspect ratio as my iMac. I personally find the difference in aspect ratio a little distracting.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so it has to have a thunderbolt port? where is a good place to buy one online, and how much should I spend? my needs are basic so I don’t need anything fancy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
No, the monitor/display does not need a Thunderbolt port. You can get an adapter or cable to go from Thunderbolt to whatever port the display has (HDMI, VGA, etc.). I use a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter for one of the displays connected to my Mini.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bob beat me to it. My monitor uses HDMI ports, so I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. I got mine from Amazon, but I don't see that specific one at the moment. If you have the same Mac that I do, a cable or adapter that says mini Displayport on one end should also work.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makes sense. thanks. :)

Reaction score
so it has to have a thunderbolt port? where is a good place to buy one online, and how much should I spend? my needs are basic so I don’t need anything fancy.

Most modern monitors come with an HDMI input, which is a high quality digital input. A recent iMac will come with a Thunderbolt3/4 port you can attach your monitor to. (Be sure to check, or ask here, which ports your iMac has if your iMac isn't recent and you aren't sure what sort of ports it has.) This adapter will allow you to connect the two with the HDMI cable that usually comes with a new monitor. (This adapter is also reasonably priced and it's been known to work well.):

Anker USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), PowerExpand+ Aluminum Portable USB C Adapter, for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, Pixelbook, XPS, Galaxy, and More (Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 ports)
$13
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THJGZ9Z/?tag=macforums0e4-20

If you are looking for a second monitor, you might want to consider this one which is currently a really good deal:

Sceptre E275W-19203R 27-inch
Amazon.com: Sceptre E275W-19203R 27" Ultra Thin 1080P LED Monitor 2X HDMI VGA Build-In Speakers, Metallic Black 2018: Computers & Accessories
$150

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.