Added user

barlow078

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum!
I just purchased a new MacBook Air M1 from Amazon.
Loving it so far
One thing I noticed when I was setting it up was when I went to users and groups there was an added user underneath my name. It was from California. I don't know if this was the person who originally put the OS in or what but I deleted them from the Mac.
I currently use a VPN, I have set up the firewall, also I changed my iCloud password as well as set up my fingerprint for accessing my Mac.

Should I still be worried about privacy and security?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Was this a brand new MBA or a used one? If used, it's normal to have random things like pre-installed apps and other user accounts and all that BS on there. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be anything on there at all. When you first turn it on, it should go through the setup process and your account should be the only one.

If it was used, before you do ANYTHING on it, power it down. Follow these instructions to get into the recovery console. Then, go through the re-install macOS section once you've erased the HD completely.

Now after you reboot, you'll go through the setup process and you will KNOW that there is absolutely nothing lingering there to cause you any issues.

Now, you don't need to use a VPN, firewall or worry about anything else.

jks

Reaction score
Was this a brand new MBA or a used one? If used, it's normal to have random things like pre-installed apps and other user accounts and all that BS on there. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be anything on there at all. When you first turn it on, it should go through the setup process and your account should be the only one.

If it was used, before you do ANYTHING on it, power it down. Follow these instructions to get into the recovery console. Then, go through the re-install macOS section once you've erased the HD completely.

Now after you reboot, you'll go through the setup process and you will KNOW that there is absolutely nothing lingering there to cause you any issues.

Now, you don't need to use a VPN, firewall or worry about anything else.
I agree. If there is anything at all on the ssd then restart and go through the process as above.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really whether its a brand new M1 or a used device when you start it up you should see the "Welcome" screen. If not it hasn't been erased properly by the previous owner. This is kinda unforgivable these days because Apple makes it so easy now. See the below option in Settings:

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 8.27.08 am.png

Here is a description of what this command does and how to use it BUT the big catch (as with previous methods) is the original user's Apple ID is required to initiate it. See: Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

Hopefully the other user you saw was just a glitch and all will be well if you follow the advice given by RazOrEdge in post #2 which I second.
It's best to do this before going to a lot of trouble setting preferences and adding software because you will have to do it all again.

Having said that, if you did get the Welcome screen when you first started up the device then you are probably fine.

Check System Settings and make sure it's your name at the top. You are clearly an Admin User or you wouldn't have been able to delete the other user.

As for using a VPN, it's your choice, I have one because I'm in Indonesia half the time and I need to overcome district restrictions by appearing to be in Australia.

OP
barlow078

barlow078

Reaction score
Really whether its a brand new M1 or a used device when you start it up you should see the "Welcome" screen. If not it hasn't been erased properly by the previous owner. This is kinda unforgivable these days because Apple makes it so easy now. See the below option in Settings:

View attachment 38440

Here is a description of what this command does and how to use it BUT the big catch (as with previous methods) is the original user's Apple ID is required to initiate it. See: Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

Hopefully the other user you saw was just a glitch and all will be well if you follow the advice given by RazOrEdge in post #2 which I second.
It's best to do this before going to a lot of trouble setting preferences and adding software because you will have to do it all again.

Having said that, if you did get the Welcome screen when you first started up the device then you are probably fine.

Check System Settings and make sure it's your name at the top. You are clearly an Admin User or you wouldn't have been able to delete the other user.

As for using a VPN, it's your choice, I have one because I'm in Indonesia half the time and I need to overcome district restrictions by appearing to be in Australia.
I did see the welcome screen when I first started it up and everything seemed fresh
My name is the top user
It's just strange cuz there was a user underneath me but like I said I deleted them and then I changed my Apple password and everything else also changed my email.

I haven't noticed any funny business

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sounds like you're in the clear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.