Adata SE760 not booting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,
I'm in trouble again. Mid 2013 macbook air with 4GB ram and a Crucial 1TB SSD fitted by yours truly. I've been using this external drive since last October without a hitch, to run some legacy software on Sierra that I really don't want to lose.
I plugged the drive into a usb port, held option when I started up, I picked the drive and that's as far as I got. The apple logo was on the screen and the white progression line went part way across and stalled. I left it like that for 40 minutes or more but it wouldn't boot up. I tried this several times to day and zilch. Other drives load up OK, but not this one. I obviously can't run disc repair or anything else. Any ideas as to what I might be able to do to save what's on there?
Edited for stupid mistake.
Another edit to say I tried it on the imac and got the same result.
Yet another edit: I had the macbook going and then plugged in the ED and went to disc utility with the idea of using the repair option, but all I got was the spinning beachball.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Pete:

Good to hear from you again.

It appears that your Crucial SSD decided to fail. SSDs normally give no warning whatsoever when they fail or even begin to fail. They just die suddenly.

Hopefully you have that data backed up?

Sorry to relate the bad news.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi Pete:

Good to hear from you again.

It appears that your Crucial SSD decided to fail. SSDs normally give no warning whatsoever when they fail or even begin to fail. They just die suddenly.

Hopefully you have that data backed up?

Sorry to relate the bad news.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The Crucial's going fine. It's the Adata that's gone belly up, but same result, unfortunately. I do have a CCC back up but I'd like to pick certain things to put on the new drive when I get it. Am I able to do this with CCC?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, you have a boot volume of Sierra on an Adata external HD which will no longer boot up your 2013 MBA?
Is the Adata a spinning drive (HDD)? If so like the advice above it may have just failed but usually you do get a little warning with a HDD.
When you say you have a CCC backup, I assume you mean of the Adata, if so is it on a different EHD?
Assuming it is then yes, you can open the CCC backup just like any external HD and the file structure will be the same as the source. You can drag and drop items from the CCC backup drive anywhere you like, including another EHD.

I'm making a lot of assumptions though so let us know.

Can you open the Adata when its plugged in or doesn't it show up at all? If it doesn't show up anywhere then do check the cables and try a different USB port just in case.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Adata is the external SSD and it won't boot up.I have a Sierra backup on a 1TB spinner which is full. I've checked that this one boots up, but abysmally slowly since I've got used to SSD's. The 1TB spinner is not a backup of the Adata, but it's got the stuff that I want on it. I only bought it in October last year so I'm a bit disappointed, but Umart seem to be coming to the party: they've just emailed me a ticket to post it back to them at their expense. I did some research before I bought it and Adata seem to have a pretty good rep'. When I get the replacement I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the tip about drag and drop, that's a bit off my mind.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I've got is a Seagate 1TB spinner with a CCC back up on it. It's partitioned in to two and I want to erase the partition that's not used so there's more space to play with. Easy I thought, but not so. I've erased the partition I want to get rid of, but when I click on it, only the + is available, there's no -. I get a message that it's the primary partition. The first 500 GB is full, but this isn't the primary. Is there anything I can do?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back on topic. Umart now have the Adata drive and will take care of it for me. I'll let you know the outcome when it happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.