Accounting Student HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
I am a accounting student and I am currently looking for a new computer. I currently have a HP Chromebook and I hate it. I have been spending time looking at the iMac and the Macbook Pro 13' and adding 16gb to it or just sucking it up and getting the 15' with quad core. My decision just lies on whether or not this computer will be good for me during my career as well. Does anyone know if a Macbook or iMac is good for the longivity and duration of my college time and career?

thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty sure that if you're pursuing an accounting career…Windows based computers will be the norm. Windows computers dominate the business world. Might be best to stick with a Windows computer.

But at the same time. Apple computers can run Windows. You can setup an Apple computer to be dual-boot…Mac OS on one partition & Windows on another partition. Or run Windows in emulation on a Mac.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I am a accounting student and I am currently looking for a new computer. I currently have a HP Chromebook and I hate it. I have been spending time looking at the iMac and the Macbook Pro 13' and adding 16gb to it or just sucking it up and getting the 15' with quad core. My decision just lies on whether or not this computer will be good for me during my career as well. Does anyone know if a Macbook or iMac is good for the longivity and duration of my college time and career?

Well, first, a Chromebook isn't, in my mind, an acceptable computer for anyone beyond high school, unless all that you need to do is basic word processing, Web browsing, and use some light SAAS (software as a service) programs. A Chromebook is basically designed to use Web-based (cloud-based) programs. By their very nature such programs are going to be limited compared to professional quality applications run locally on a more (much more) powerful computer running the Mac OS or Windows.

While the Macintosh has a reputation for not having a lot of accounting programs, the truth is that there are a *huge* number of accounting programs for the Macintosh. (I can give you a very long list of them, if you like.)

I think that what you need to do is to talk to one of your advisors in your major, or one of your professors, maybe even an upper division student in your department, and see what programs and computers they recommend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.