about to buy a macbook unibody (advice please!)

Reaction score
Hi guys --

new to the forum. I'm thinking of going with a new unibody macbook. I read an in-depth review that touched on these three problems:

1- The bottom of the macbook warping.
2- The harddrive making a loud clicking/clunking noise when you move the computer.
3- The hinges becoming misaligned.

Has anyone experienced these issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1. Never heard of warping issues on either the Macbook or Macbook Pro. Must have been an older model or a rare circumstance.

2. If your hard drive is being accessed and you move the computer abruptly, then that's the sound of the read/write head striking the platters. This is the case with any laptop, hence why it's recommended that you either shut down or put the laptop to sleep before moving it.

3. Never heard of anyone having hinge problems outside of those resulting from blunt trauma (i.e. falling several feet)

Macbooks, especially the new unibody ones, are very well built machines. You'll see more hardware and cosmetic problems with a Windows laptop than a Macbook

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Kash. If anyone else can chime in with their opinion/feedback, that'd be great. I'm looking to be able to rest-easy after buying my macbook (i'll be a first-time buyer!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
The new unibody MBP is pretty much bulletproof as far a laptops/notebooks go! These things will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Most of the problems you hear of are from outside vendor parts (hard drives) or the occasional manufacturer defect which thankfully is very rare. And, if there is one, I want Apple standing behind me because they take care of their customers better than any technology company out there!!!

There was someone on here lately complaining about a dent from dropping their laptop off the table...off a **** table... OFF A TABLE.. and they complain about a dent... If that had been a dell, hp, sony etc... that laptop would have most likely been toast instead of a complaint about some "blemishes"!!! If anything, apple just makes their computers too sexy and any lil blemish sends people into a tizzy.. LMAO!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks grnvlmike -- but I'm talking about the Macbook Unibody, not the MBP....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
Woops... missed that part... Well, I still stand by everything I said except the dent part... don't think you could even dent a macbook unibody! My friend treats his like a high school chemistry book... just tosses it in the trunk of his car, under his seat. He has beat the plastic all to heck, but it always wakes up and is ready to go. maybe all the stickers on it helps protect it.. LOL

OP
D
Reaction score
yea, I really like the new body a lot. Just want to make sure I won't have issues with warping, etc. That'd be SO annoying.

Has anyone heard of putting rubber stoppers on the bottom of the MB to help venting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I read about the warping issue and the research I did seems to indicate it was a very rare occurrence. Apparently the panels were defective from Apples supplier (which could happen with any mass produced product). Of greater importance is that Apple gave the owners brand new computers instead of repairing them. Now that's great customer service.

While I'm a new MacBook Pro owner, I have loads of friends with them and they are especially high quality laptops. I would rest assured that you will be fine. I would also highly suggest that you buy the optional 3yr Apple Care Warranty. Then you have three years of no worries, and excellent telephone tech support. That's what I did and I'm very happy with the decision.

Cheers...

Reaction score
Maybe I can add something to the discussion. I have 4 day old MacBook Unibody. I have three previous MacBooks (1.83, 2.0, and 2.2 BlackBook), as well as an early Core Duo MBP. This is hands down the best I have had. I can't speak for the later MBP's or the Unibody MBP's (which I assume our awesome!), but in comparison to those I've had, this is outstanding.

The build is fantastic. I can't see the bottom warping (though I do recall reading a review mention that - maybe it was preproduction?). Even so, my experience with Apple notebooks is that if something is going to happen, it is going to happen early on (i.e. under warranty).

The unibody MacBooks are deceptively fast - you wouldn't think the C2D 2.26 would be quick by today's standards, but for anything short of gaming or video work, I think it is more than sufficient. I don't game and I don't do video, but I am a photographer and Lightroom is just as quick as my custom built 2.7 Core Duo with 8GB ram (only 2GB in the MacBook).

I can't comment on the HDD, but that is going to be hit or miss with any HDD. I have a WD Caviar Black in an external case that makes the occasional click or hum - but it works like a champ. I put a SSD in the MacBook and it is a match made in heaven. Doesn't make a sound, incredibly fast... just so **** expensive.

If the MacBook fits your budget and will work for your needs, there is no reason not to get one. Excellent value. If you need to do anything that will be video intensive, look to a MBP (15 or 17).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks joeyc. I don't really think I'll be doing anything too intensive with video. I'll most likely be using Serato Scratch Live for DJing, but I've been using a 1.6GHz / 1GB ram PC for that, with no issues. Other than that -- simple surfing, music, and chat... thats about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.