A/V & Firewall - Current Thinking

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've used a PC for years (go easy on me :p) and would consider myself well versed in security measures for PC's. I am helping out a relative who has just bought a new iMac and need some advice from Mac experts.

I have already read the lengthy sticky topic on A/V & Firewall, but wanted to post for a more up to date opinion on this subject.

I appreciate that the number of threats targetting Apple Mac's is significantly lower than PC's, but should I install an Anti-Virus and/or Firewall onto the iMac? My years of dealing with PC's make me feel very vulnerable sitting at a computer without these running

If someone could help answer this question and then point to some good (free?) software solutions it'd be much appreciated.

Also, shortly I will have to configure the iMac to work with a NetGear ADSL router and a HP wireless all-in-one printer. I haven't touched networking with Mac's before, so I may well be back with questions!

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
First off. I am a software engineer. One of my recent projects was a client/server application meant to serve thousands of users. Security was a big deal. Just want to preface what I am going to say with that.

I am of the PERSONAL opinion that virus protection software is, in general, unnecessary. I've been using computers of one form or another since the 80s. I've been using the Windows OS since 3.1 was released.

In all that time my personal computers have had a virus twice. Yes, twice. One came on a floppy that had gotten infected at a supplier. (actually I suspect there was a jerk there infecting them on purpose). The other came from someone I was working on a project with. He sent out an infected Word file and we all got it before he realized he was infected.

My windows machines have Avast A/V installed. But it does NOT eat up valuable processor by running constantly. I usually do a complete scan every six months. in the last eight years I have NEVER found a virus.

Really, these things are dead easy to avoid. The easiest step? Ditch AOL or whatever ISP mail you are using and sign up for a Gmail (or other web mail) service. Alternately STOP using Outlook to check POP3 mail!

Do not open attachments you did not request. Period. Do not go to random links sent in those mega-forwarded emails. Do NOT download software from any website that sets off your "maybe shady" instincts. Do NOT use IE. Use a script stopping plugin for Firefox.

With a few simple rules a Windows machine can go YEARS without seeing a single virus. A Mac? Good grief you could probably run forever without catching something just by following some simple rules.

Firewall is something else entirely. I run a firewall, but mine is hardware. None of my machines connect directly to the internet. A software firewall can be useful as well, but hardware is honestly easier and less of a hassle. Get a good router, learn its software, learn how to configure its open/closed ports and you've got all the protection a normal home user needs.

(The above is just my opinion and lots of folks with as much experience as I will disagree with me. Ask four computer people a question and you will get five different answers, just FYI)

Reaction score
As far as the Mac is concerned, just go to your system preferences then to the sharing icon and make sure the firewall is turned on. That would probably be all you would really need to do. However, if it would give you peace of mind you could pick up a virus checker and install it. At this time i really don't think it is needed, but peace of mind is worth a bit of overhead.

You will find that networking with a Mac is a fairly simple thing. Many times about all you have to do is just plug the thing in and it works. Hopefully the Mac has at least 1 gig of ram, if not you will find it works much smoother if you upgrade the ram to at least 1 gig, i prefer 2 gigs myself, but not everyone really needs it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Totally agree with some of your points. I too have been using PC's for many years and have never ever had a virus (or even a warning of a virus), spyware, adware etc. Although I run protection software (as a last resort), me being prudent is the best form of defense. I use gmail not outlook and never open anything I don't trust 100%.

Sadly, the relative who has just bought this Mac uses AOL as his ISP and therefore uses an AOL e-mail address (extensively I believe). This isn't ideal I know.

I will certainly set the Mac firewall to be on. I will also check the NetGear router settings to ensure the hardwire firewall is enables and configured correctly.

If he decides he really wants a A/V, can anyone recommend something that works well on the Mac without eating tons of system resource?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.