A slow Duo??? Something wrong?

Reaction score
So my company just gave me a new computer. Its a nice shinny Mac Book Duo. I'm really happy because now I have a lap top that I didn't pay for. Unfortunately I have two problems. To start I'm a PC user. I've really never used a mac before so I'm unfamilliar with a number things associated with its oporating. Secondly, I find this computer deathly slow. From what I read these new Duo (NOT DUO II) intel processors are supposed to be screaming quick, but I've found that with with a couple of tabs open on firefox and a large excel sheet open there's loading times and program switching problems. Furthermore, I downloaded one of a handful of demo games out for macs (Halo) and I found the graphics pretty but moving as fast a slide show.

So this begs the questions, is it just this computer? Is it something to do with this configuration and there's something I can do to fix it? Or are PC's just generally faster? My friend has a 5 year old BEAT G4 and that thing still runs way faster than this.

If I had a pc I know there's ways to reduce background programs from running, but I'm not sure about macs.

I'd like get well versed in this thing, so any advice or knowledge would be great.

As far as particulars,

Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
Serial Number: RM6480CCVMM
SMC Version: 1.4f12

My hardrive is a: Volume?

Capacity: 74 GB
Used: 29 GB

I hope that helps.

thanks

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Memory: 512 MB

I think the problem isn't your processor, but the low amount of memory that you have. If I were you I'd install 2x512MB sticks into it. Doing that would up your memory to 1GB and that should get rid of any speed issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
From my experience of using Windows, Linux and OS X - Firefox is a memory hog. you only have 512MB RAM on that MacBook and without a doubt that will be your biggest short fall. If you can buy some more RAM or get the company to pay for more RAM then you will have more pleasing results.

A large spreadsheet will also benefit from more RAM.

Halo, well that's different. Your MacBook has on board Intel graphics - this will not really be powerful enough to get the best out of such a graphics intensive game.

If you can get at least 1GB of RAM in that machine then you will definitely notice a great improvement when using Firefox and Excel as well as pretty much all other applications. Unfortunately whilst the RAM may help Halo - that sort of game will never really perform so great on a MacBook.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, step one get memory. Two 512s? Okay. Can I assume I'd see an even bigger jump if I got 2 1gb sticks? I know what I'm looking for for a pc, but what should I be looking for for MAC? Should it read "for Macbook" specifically? Is there any harm and buying the budget memory?

As far as speeding things up, is there anything I can do as far the OS is concerned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Well you can download and run OnyX. Here is a link to that download. Then follow this simple guide on how to use it. This will help your performance a bit.

As far as RAM goes, I have 2GB and I have no speed issues, and as long as the 2 gig sticks you buy are made for Apples, then it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard people reccomend not to buy the budget RAM though.

Reaction score
You mentioned spreadsheet. Is that in Excel? Aren't Microsoft Office apps running in Rosetta? Rosetta is a huge memory hog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to print out that guide Pulse-8 created that I linked to. OnyX will make you restart several times and it's more handy to have it printed up in front of you than to return to this site every time you restart. I printed it up and now I use it whenever I run OnyX. It's the easiest guide to understand that I've ever read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yeah MS Office for Mac is not written for newer Intel machines. It requires translation in the form of a program called Rosetta. Rosetta needs RAM and lots of it. 512 barely enough to run the OS and Firefox and a few tabs, let alone a non native app. I suggest Newegg for RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with IronMac. You'll want to go with 2 gig of RAM if you're running Excel. I'm forced to use it because it's required for my Accounting class and it is a memory hog. But until you upgrade your RAM, as I mentioned earlier, simply running OnyX will most likely improve your performance a bit. I still believe that 1 gig could handle the requirements though, so if you don't want to drop too much money into your MacBook (but, since you got it for free, you might as well make it run as fast as possible), you could just up it to 1 gig.

Reaction score
Newegg's got Crucial 1GB module for $59.99 down from $79.99. Just ordered 2 x 1GB modules last night. Total, shipped, was under $130.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newegg's got Crucial 1GB module for $59.99 down from $79.99. Just ordered 2 x 1GB modules last night. Total, shipped, was under $130.

Wow, that's a really good deal. jnc007add, you should look into that. That's quality RAM for a great price. Your MacBook will FLY with that in it!

Reaction score
Wow, that's a really good deal. jnc007add, you should look into that. That's quality RAM for a great price. Your MacBook will FLY with that in it!

Jump on it cause it just went up another $10. Now, its $69.99 for each module. But there is a coupon available to drop the $10.

CRUCIAL1GB328

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yeah that is a great price. I would hop on it but I don't have an Intel machine and I just dropped a bundle on my new TV an PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jump on it cause it just went up another $10. Now, its $69.99 for each module.

Could you provide a link? I'm having trouble finding it on the site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.