• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A question on guitar amps.....

rps

Reaction score
Hello all. I am in the market for a digital modelling amp. While I have a guitar my main instrument now is a Fluke SB electric with fluorocarbon strings. I also play in a uke circle publicly....albeit we have met for 1 1/2 years due to Covid restrictions here in Windsor.

I have it down to two... the Fender Mustang GTX 50 and the Line 6 Spider Jam....

Was wondering if anyone had an experience with either.... as a point...I’m leaning towards the Line 6 Jam due to its backup track capabilities.

Thoughts....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We used to have quite a few members who had their own band or were solo musicians. Hopefully some of these folks will chime in & provide some opinions.:)

Nick

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
We used to have quite a few members who had their own band or were solo musicians. Hopefully some of these folks will chime in & provide some opinions.:)

Nick
Yes , I hope so.... i know a musician here but not a guitar or uke player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I hit round things. Does this count? ;)

I like the sound of backup track capabilities. Have you heard of headrushfx? From my perspective, I’ve seen a number of players use these on stages and they love them. You can chain digital effects viually like guitar effect pedals, it’s quite something.

This is the compact smaller version of the ones I’ve seen. Might be pricey but they sound incredible and it’s fun to check these out. I’ve thought of getting this one for the studio. I think you need an actual amp/speaker to run them through for live. HeadRush - MX5 Compact Floor Amp Modeling Guitar Effect Processor

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I hit round things. Does this count? ;)

I like the sound of backup track capabilities. Have you heard of headrushfx? From my perspective, I’ve seen a number of players use these on stages and they love them. You can chain digital effects viually like guitar effect pedals, it’s quite something.

This is the compact smaller version of the ones I’ve seen. Might be pricey but they sound incredible and it’s fun to check these out. I’ve thought of getting this one for the studio. I think you need an actual amp/speaker to run them through for live. HeadRush - MX5 Compact Floor Amp Modeling Guitar Effect Processor
Hi Groove, I have heard of these, but at my level of playing I think it’s a bit too expensive and more than I need...but they are neat. When I was in a band in the 60s one of these had more ability than a studio in those days.

I keep coming back to four... the Yamaha THR...but it’s too quiet for small pub gigging, the Fender Mustang GTX 50, but I hear it’s cheaper to buy another one than have it repaired...if you can find someone to repair it.... then the Line 6 Spider Jam....has built in looper, drum tracks and dubbing..it also has mike inputs for one man banding...the issue is try and find one to road test, Yamaha indicates there are only 11 in Canada right now...and none near Windsor... finally the Boss Katana...but it would be the mk2 100 as it comes with a foot pedal. Quality wise they seem very very good . So I keep bouncing but I’m leaning toward the Katana or the Line 6.... the saga continues which is why I like to hear from actual users..... As a note the Line 6 is much like the Headrush I hear.

You use “acoustic” drums correct... must be harder trying to choose drum kit pieces than an amp I would wager.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There’s just so much choice of everything out there. 40 years playing for living and I have more stuff than I can remember any longer. If we ever had to sell the house I’d be in big trouble, 5 kits plus a ridiculous amount of everything takes up many rooms. I do have 4 guitars. A Gibson sg, a strat, and acoustics a Yamaha and an Ibanez. No amp though, just plug into the studio racks.

I do have one electronic kit as well. It’s an older Roland td10. I’ve never been a fan of electronics. With my drum students, I can always tell which ones practice on an electric.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
There’s just so much choice of everything out there. 40 years playing for living and I have more stuff than I can remember any longer. If we ever had to sell the house I’d be in big trouble, 5 kits plus a ridiculous amount of everything takes up many rooms. I do have 4 guitars. A Gibson sg, a strat, and acoustics a Yamaha and an Ibanez. No amp though, just plug into the studio racks

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Tovah is somewhat reticent about my getting another toy.. I have.. 4 ukuleles..a Soprano, Tenor, Banjouke in Concert and my Fluke SB in Tenor, two banjos, an electric Yamaha 6 string, a classical and an Epiphone 12 string, a Kalimba, Flute,
so....................... what’s an amp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it’s a question of what your needs are. Sounds like you have a leaning to the line 6, I have an old line 6 pod, it’s great and was useful say 15 years ago for recording. It’s got amazing sounds. I think played with a guy with a line6 amp, it was awesome. They make great stuff.

Reaction score
I still swear by my Fender Princeton that I bought used in 1985. It’s prolly from the early 70s or maybe the 60s. Great tone. Not terribly loud, but that’s what mic’s are for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, no question tube amps are superior but if one wants all the digital modeling, it’s a different ballgame.

If you’re gonna go tube, my favorites in front (side?) have been the super reverb, the music mans, bassman, those can move your pant legs ;)

Reaction score
I used a friend’s Boss Katana amp yesterday at the jam and I was really pleased with the sound of it. Plenty of options and wattage levels to choose from and a great tone. I think I was on the “crunch” setting which breaks up just a little but is more or less clean. Definitely recommend.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I still swear by my Fender Princeton that I bought used in 1985. It’s prolly from the early 70s or maybe the 60s. Great tone. Not terribly loud, but that’s what mic’s are for.
FB, I had one of those in the 60s....couldn’t kill the thing. Wish I kept it ..probably worth a fortune today.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I used a friend’s Boss Katana amp yesterday at the jam and I was really pleased with the sound of it. Plenty of options and wattage levels to choose from and a great tone. I think I was on the “crunch” setting which breaks up just a little but is more or less clean. Definitely recommend.
I keep hear great things about them... road tested one next to a Fender... I liked the tone of the Fender on some settings a bit better, but for the money they are hard to beat.

Reaction score
I keep hear great things about them... road tested one next to a Fender... I liked the tone of the Fender on some settings a bit better, but for the money they are hard to beat.

Very versatile little amp from what I could tell. I usually just find one tone on the amp I like and then do everything else with the effects box I built in the 80’s. Added some new-to-me pedals in the 2000’s. Have a Zoom pedal that does a million things but don’t use it much because I’d have to bend down to change the settings. Have a couple of small Marshalls at school with effects built in for the kids to use. Amps can be so much fun.

PS - isn’t it nice that we can talk openly here without getting banned? Just saying.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Very versatile little amp from what I could tell. I usually just find one tone on the amp I like and then do everything else with the effects box I built in the 80’s. Added some new-to-me pedals in the 2000’s. Have a Zoom pedal that does a million things but don’t use it much because I’d have to bend down to change the settings. Have a couple of small Marshalls at school with effects built in for the kids to use. Amps can be so much fun.

PS - isn’t it nice that we can talk openly here without getting banned? Just saying.
Now now be nice Frank… you have had a gig or two correct. We are thinking about it here.

Reaction score
Now now be nice Frank… you have had a gig or two correct. We are thinking about it here.

Last night was an open stage, but there is a gig coming on April 15. Assuming BA.2 doesn’t shut it down first lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let’s hope things stay open more this time around. Playing out is so good for the soul, Im welcoming back students now and it’s so good to see them.

sorry we were talking about amps. :) I find the modeling technology out there to be astounding. I have the universal audio rack systems for recording but the guitar amp modeling plugins for that system by UA are just incredible. Pals who used to send their tracks to be re-amped are now just using those on big release stuff. Just amazing. I’m sure either of those amps will be really great. It’ll come down to personal favorite of sounds, so hearing it first hand is likely going to be the decider I think.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Let’s hope things stay open more this time around. Playing out is so good for the soul, Im welcoming back students now and it’s so good to see them.

sorry we were talking about amps. :) I find the modeling technology out there to be astounding. I have the universal audio rack systems for recording but the guitar amp modeling plugins for that system by UA are just incredible. Pals who used to send their tracks to be re-amped are now just using those on big release stuff. Just amazing. I’m sure either of those amps will be really great. It’ll come down to personal favorite of sounds, so hearing it first hand is likely going to be the decider I think.
True that on sounds…. I’m sure selecting drums are the same…it comes down to the ear. I’m not at anyones level here in playing ability so it comes down to the sound I like for my style of playing….remembering I play a uke not a six string. What’s amazing is all these ample seem to be built for metal players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have what is considered to be some of the best drums on the planet, it took me years to get there. But I truly do appreciate every aspect of them. It’s very individual, that’s why I think your own ear is going to be the deciding factor. Everyone’s hands are different, I’ve seen the same bass and the same rig sound entirely different with different hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.