A Nice, Weird Day

Reaction score
Hello. . . I started running OS X Server yesterday. I'll admit it was a whim, and I wanted to see what my Macbook Pro could do with it. I know now that I probably don't have enough RAM, and there are a few other considerations. (It's running on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 4 GB Duo.)
The biggest problem, though, both today and yesterday was that in the evening the computer started to get noticeably slower. Upon investigation, it had over 300 GB stored on it (not locatable by me). I had given it a clean install that morning. Now, I had been using it as a Time Machine backup for my Macbook Air, but I switched that to a 2 TB Seagate hard drive that is connected to the Pro. (And my Air can't generate 300 GB of backup in a day.)
So the Air is backing up wirelessly to the hard drive attached to the Pro. The Pro is also backing up to the hard drive. Blah blah blah... You don't need to know my whole backup plan.
The server app is generating a LOT of logs with errors and saying device not configured and INIT transmit failed... It basically just scrolls, and I think I should probably do something about it before it blows itself up. Seeing a lot of weird reason 2, so no such file..... Anyone know anything about this?
I don't think I am planning to keep the Pro on as a server, but I'd like to learn something and not just cut and run.

Reaction score
question server version please.

mavericks snow leopard tiger mountain lion

Reaction score
mavericks was quite unstable on server most people are using snow leopard or tiger as a server version because they didn't need internet on the machine just file sharing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.